Question Laptop psu replacement

kamranneliyev

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
I have 6 years old laptop ,with overclocked 2 core cpu from 2.6 to 3.2 , rams overclocked from 1300 to 1600 which is bus's maximum, and 7200 rpm hdd , in it runs avarege on 90C , sometimes even around 110C 8 hours a day for 3 years . So decided to remove cd rom , add some extra cooling and overclock gpu too ,maybe finally I can kill it , but I found out that 35w is just not enough so I need to change psu . But I am not sure if just replacing it with 45 or 50 will work . I googled but couldn't find anything. So anyone knows how to do it ? Is it bios that decides what part need how much power ,or somehow else ?

kamranneliyev

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Overclocking isn't impressive but working in these temperatures is impressive actually. It's Samsung np300 series with 3230m , i bought new lenovo actually so doing it just fun.
I found some parts , but dont know if its compitable , it's not like pc psu , electric flow transforms in adapter , and disturbed by the thing (don't know how it's called ) , so I found some acer and dell parts which works on 45 , 50 watts , but I think it's not like that you put that regulator or amplifier that disturbutes current , so maybe someone already have done itor knows how to do

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Electricity doesn't work backwards. The laptop isn't stuck at 35w pushing it, it's stuck at the 26w draw. You could put a 100w brick in front of it, it'll still draw only 26w. The components themselves only use what they use, no matter how big the supply.

You could rip the old 245w psu out of grandma's old Dell and replace it with a 1600w behemoth, it'll still only pull less than 200w.

kamranneliyev

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Electricity doesn't work backwards. The laptop isn't stuck at 35w pushing it, it's stuck at the 26w draw. You could put a 100w brick in front of it, it'll still draw only 26w. The components themselves only use what they use, no matter how big the supply.

You could rip the old 245w psu out of grandma's old Dell and replace it with a 1600w behemoth, it'll still only pull less than 200w.
Thanks for answer, it is not stuck at 26 , with 100% load it's using 30-34w . The problem is that when I overclock gpu it just shuts down , decreasing clock speed and voltage it works fine again . As you said just putting bigger power source does change nothing, gpu will use same , so is there anyway to make it use more ? Maybe it has been limited by bios or it's impossible at all

kamranneliyev

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mAcJ5FwEwn4swmfDA

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm afraid not. It will use what it will. You can't force it to use more. The only thing that'll change if you swap the brick for larger is that possibly it won't shut down when it reaches 34w loads. The brick itself may be incapable of 30-34w continuous loads. It's designed more for 25w ish loads, with occasional, temporary spike draws upto 35w.

But you can't force the laptop to use what it doesn't need to.