Question Laptop ran cool in the states, now in germany, it gets extremely hot.

Mar 1, 2019
Hey everyone, so i bought an hp omen laptop, with a rtx 2070 and 8750H cpu. It worked wonderfully when i was in california, running games like gears 5 maxed out and only hitting about 75C, it was perfect. Now i have recently moved to germany for a year, and have found that whenever i launch any game now, it just jumps to over 95C immediately. Whats also odd is, i went to london, and the issue was no longer there, or it was less severe and not noticeable. Now back in germany, it is doing the same thing. I have turned off turbo and underclocked to solve the issue, but it definitely hurt performance. I can only imagine that this problem exists due to the big power difference between the states and other countries? If i were to purchase an charger from europe, would that resolve the issue? The issue seems odd to me as the power brick is supposed to support the power difference, but not too sure. Any help is much appreciated!

I should also add this all happened within the span of months, its not dirty, or clogged or anything. I only have own it for about 4 months.

Thank You,

Chris

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have any way to check the electrical voltages and frequencies at your location in Germany?

Are you using any sort of adapters between host electrical outlet and the Omen Laptop?

Do any other laptops (or other electronics) experience any problems at your location?

Mar 1, 2019
Do you have any way to check the electrical voltages and frequencies at your location in Germany?

Are you using any sort of adapters between host electrical outlet and the Omen Laptop?

Do any other laptops (or other electronics) experience any problems at your location?
I do not have any way to check the voltages or frequencies at this apartment. But, i am using an adapter, it is a USA to German adapter, pretty simple, no power converting or anything. I also wouldn't not be able to tell if anything else has the same problem, as far as i can tell, all electronics i brought do not have the problem. My switch, monitors, speakers, don't seem to heat up, but nothing like a laptop to test it against.

I do doubt that it is apartment i'm at, since it has happened everywhere in germany though.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you travel throughout Europe? London noted, what about other places?

Take a look at the following Plug, Socket, and Voltage list:

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/

You may spot some common factor with respect to where the laptop is (voltage, frequency, adapter) and when it does or does not heat up.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Perhaps someone following your thread will be able to provide additional input. Especially if they have traveled a lot.