Question Laptop random crash/freeze

Apr 9, 2021
Hello everyone,

Recently i bought a laptop (HP Laptop - 15s-eq1510na), stock was dual channel 4gb 2666mhz. When I bought it, I talked to the seller to change it and to put 2x8GB 3200mhz kingstone. And this is the only thing changed in hardware. Laptop is almost new(around 25hours working time).
The problem is..it random shut down when i do random task not a specific one(watching yt, programming..etc). Cpu/ram/ssd never goes to 100% usage

Yesterday I had to work on my laptop and I had no problems, no freeze no nothing. Today i power on the laptop, watching a yt video and bam, freeze.
Laptop goes black screen but not off, just black and i can't do nothing. SSD led is off. External monitor do same thing, black but not off. I was connect with another laptop remote and connection was lost when that happend.

Here is a benchmark/laptop spec

Soo..
I've changed the OS, tried with Linux. Same thing/freeze random

Update the bios and restore to default
Secure erase ssd and install clean windows 10/linux -
Test the ssd with hdd sentinel - 100% life, all good
Test the ram with Windows Memory Diagnostic - all good, no errors

What should/can i do?
If laptop support only ram at 2667mhz can be a problem if i put 3200mhz, this can be the problem?
But no error when check memory...
I wonder if anyone has ever encountered this problem

There is some photos with laptop and event log
I can find some more detailed logs? these logs is too vague.
I've tried to record video of task manager and see if something crazy happend when laptop freeze but i can't watch the video because is corrupted(laptop freeze and record shut down instant).

Ralston18

Titan
Task Manager and Resource Monitor can both be used for troubleshooting.

However, it prove more helpful if some relevant error codes can be found.

Also Look in Reliability History

Reliability History is much more user friendly than Event Viewer.

Right clicking any given errors will provide additional detail about any given problem. That additional detail may or may not be useful.

Just as a general observation I think the Event Viewer results are indicative of a failing/faulty power supply.

I.e.; numerous and varying errors of all types. For example: "Unexpected shutdown" that you were not forced to initiate.

Apr 9, 2021
Task Manager and Resource Monitor can both be used for troubleshooting.

However, it prove more helpful if some relevant error codes can be found.

Also Look in Reliability History

Reliability History is much more user friendly than Event Viewer.

Right clicking any given errors will provide additional detail about any given problem. That additional detail may or may not be useful.

Just as a general observation I think the Event Viewer results are indicative of a failing/faulty power supply.

I.e.; numerous and varying errors of all types. For example: "Unexpected shutdown" that you were not forced to initiate.
Thanks for reply,

Reliability History doesen’t show anything different.
But I have a little update:
I think it freeze only when it is connected on cable.
When working on battery is all good. I m not 100% sure but yesterday after 5 freeze i unplugged and all the day no freeze. This can be? And what exactly can cause this?

UPDATE: Nope, it's freezing on battery too. Same error in reliability history. Windows shutdown incorrect - "The previous system shutdown at 09:15:10 on ‎10.‎04.‎2021 was unexpected.", nothing else...some ideas?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021
After I’ve updated ryzen chipset I think laptop crashes more often.
In power plan I have only balanced power plan.
I have windows 10 version 1909. Can be a problem with power plan? And this old windows?

Ralston18

Titan
The behavior seems to be power related.

Yet, I wonder about the Kingston RAM being used.

FYI:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06940013

If faster RAM is installed it will just run at the speed supported by the host computer. If varying RAM sticks then the speed is determined by the slowest RAM stick.

However, there are many other details involved. Did the seller actually install a matched set of 2 x 8 GB RAM sticks for dual channel use?

Automatic overclocking?

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedstates/us/memory/fury-ddr4

That would have an impact on power demand especially for a laptop. And perhaps complicated by some mismatched RAM.

I am going to move your post over to Memory - someone who follows that Category may have additional thoughts and ideas.

Ralston18

Titan
Power plan - that is another consideration that I had not thought of.

Continue looking into that pending other input regarding the memory and overclocking.

Are you familiar with CPU-Z?

May come in useful for obtaining RAM specs on the laptop.

Apr 9, 2021
Ram is 3200mhz but it doesn’t run faster than 2667mhz. I was monitoring them and stress/stability test with aida.

Before delivery I talked to the seller and asked him to upgrade ram at dual channel 2x8GB ram. The seller claims that he had no problems with the laptop but he used and tested it with 2x4GB ram stock memory. The ram is new..no error, nothing when tested. I dont think it's a RAM problem idk.

It seems like laptop freeze when load is low to very low. Can be a power settings somewhere wich set cpu/ssd..etc lower voltage for lower power consumption when cpu/ssd/ram is not at high usage?

How can i eliminate RAM from problem list? How i should monitoring/testing them to be sure?
Can i make CPU to never go lower usage? Or something like that....
I think i will install new windows version 20H2.
And i can't understand why i don't have Higher power plan only balanced?