Question Laptop randomly shuts down (power cable gets really hot) ?

El Geo

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
First of all, I don't have battery inside my laptop since it stopped working some months ago so I completely removed it, so my laptop is always on with power cable.

Since yesterday, it started randomly shutting down and then restarting on its own. I thought maybe memory rams were the issue so I replaced them with some spare ones I had from my old laptop. However it still does it.

I was checking the temps, and they seem normal/like they always used to be, around 80-85 if gaming, around 50-60 if idle.

Now the important part is, one of the things I notice when laptop shuts down is, once it shuts down, I put my fingers instantly on the cable near where the power on (AC adapter) port for laptop is, and it's really hot, once it restarts, it cools down and isn't that hot. So at random times (mostly at heavy tasks like gaming demanding games, it gets hot and I think it shuts down?

Can it be overheating? (I don't move the cable at all, so it's not like the cable is being moved and it may get disconnected from port). How can I fix it? Is it something inside the laptop that has the issue? Is it that AC adapter is broken and doesn't work correctly? Laptop is an Asus ROG.

Aug 15, 2023
Hi ,
First of all, I don't have battery inside my laptop since it stopped working some months ago so I completely removed it, so my laptop is always on with power cable.

Since yesterday, it started randomly shutting down and then restarting on its own. I thought maybe memory rams were the issue so I replaced them with some spare ones I had from my old laptop. However it still does it.

I was checking the temps, and they seem normal/like they always used to be, around 80-85 if gaming, around 50-60 if idle.

Now the important part is, one of the things I notice when laptop shuts down is, once it shuts down, I put my fingers instantly on the cable near where the power on (AC adapter) port for laptop is, and it's really hot, once it restarts, it cools down and isn't that hot. So at random times (mostly at heavy tasks like gaming demanding games, it gets hot and I think it shuts down?

Can it be overheating? (I don't move the cable at all, so it's not like the cable is being moved and it may get disconnected from port). How can I fix it? Is it something inside the laptop that has the issue? Is it that AC adapter is broken and doesn't work correctly? Laptop is an Asus ROG.
Hi, in this situation you can take out bios battery, keep press power buton for 10 seconds to drain out all the curent from laptop , after that put in the bios battery and plug in the power corde and power on laptop , you can use a stress test program like everest for example and and also in that time check the temperatures , if the laptop shutdown , check the charger to see if is hot , if it is just try with a different charger and repeat the test , usually the charger is hot if don't have enough amperage for charging battery, here is not the case ,because you say battery is not used , just test and also try to make a bios update and check.

TRENDING THREADS