Question Laptop randomly started to lag ?

Jun 11, 2023
About a week ago I downloaded Apex Legends and everything was working fine with no issues. However, 2 days ago, whenever I launched the game, everything would start lagging. My game would stutter, my browser would lag (can’t open tabs, videos stop playing, delay in switching tabs) and overall the laptop would just be slow. I originally thought this was an issue with the Apex game; however, I just launched Valorant earlier and the same thing happened. Once the game is launched the game is lagging along with the browser and computer in general. This wasn’t an issue before up until 2 days ago when it randomly started happening.

The only thing I could think of is if my CPU is suddenly running too high temp. It’s running at around 85-95, which it normally does since I live in a hot area and the computer doesn’t feel any hotter than normal when I touch it. I’ve used compressed air to try to clear out some dust, but not sure what else I could do. I don’t have the tools or knowledge to open it up to clean. Are there any other possible issues that have solutions I could try?

Laptop: MSI GL 8SDK
Specs (I’m not sure if the exact specs aside from the CPU and GPU)
CPU: Intel i5-8750h
GPU: RTX 1660 Ti

Jun 11, 2023
Although the cpu max operating temp is 100c, you may still be suffering from temp throttling on threads that are going over this temp. Use Cpuid HWMonitor free app and monitor your cpu's threads to see if any are being throttled and if so at what temp. Monitoring you gpu temps is a good idea too it could be a little bit of both. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
I do that’s where I got the temps from but that still doesn’t fix the problem

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
About a week ago I downloaded Apex Legends and everything was working fine with no issues. However, 2 days ago, whenever I launched the game, everything would start lagging. My game would stutter, my browser would lag (can’t open tabs, videos stop playing, delay in switching tabs) and overall the laptop would just be slow. I originally thought this was an issue with the Apex game; however, I just launched Valorant earlier and the same thing happened. Once the game is launched the game is lagging along with the browser and computer in general. This wasn’t an issue before up until 2 days ago when it randomly started happening.

The only thing I could think of is if my CPU is suddenly running too high temp. It’s running at around 85-95, which it normally does since I live in a hot area and the computer doesn’t feel any hotter than normal when I touch it. I’ve used compressed air to try to clear out some dust, but not sure what else I could do. I don’t have the tools or knowledge to open it up to clean. Are there any other possible issues that have solutions I could try?

Laptop: MSI GL 8SDK
Specs (I’m not sure if the exact specs aside from the CPU and GPU)
CPU: Intel i5-8750h
GPU: RTX 1660 Ti
Depends on what you value more, speed or temps, you can undervolt to help with temps but that will tank performance. As for stuttering / lag its probably a combination of ping and ram usage.