[SOLVED] Laptop reaching 90+ Deg on usage of ~ 15%

Apr 9, 2020
My Sager NP8952 ( i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz upto 3.5GHz with boost) reaches around 92 Degs with only usage of ~15% . the apps i run are Microsoft Teams, opera browser thats all. of which the major usage is by Teams.

Solution
Laptop coolers need to be light and compact.
For that reason, they are not particularly efficient.
Also realize that you also have a discrete gaming gpu chip which can be quite hot.

Your symptom suggests that you are throttling.
When the cpu reaches about 100c, it will slow down to protect itself.
If you run hwmonitor, you may see a max temperature of 100c. which suggests throttling.

One thing to do is to see that your cooling airways are clean and unobstructed.
Possibly your cpu and gpu coolers need to be remounted with fresh paste.
You can reduce heat by turning off the discrete graphics and using lower power integrated graphics.

Past that, experiment by reducing the max cpu performance while plugged in from 100% to a lower number...
Apr 9, 2020
I guess the laptop is from/around 2017, check if intake and exhaust are clean, dust will build up.
It's possible that the thermal paste from the cpu has gone bad.
Check clock speeds, if it's at max clock all the time it will get hot! It's should downclock itself while doing basic stuff.

My i7 8750h reach 90°C while gaming and fans running at 100%. While idle doing some basic stuff it's around 40°C/50°C. I downclocked it from max 4.2Ghz to max 3.1Ghz brought the voltage down and now it's at max 70°C.

Reactions: Chiragdkothari
Laptop coolers need to be light and compact.
For that reason, they are not particularly efficient.
Also realize that you also have a discrete gaming gpu chip which can be quite hot.

Your symptom suggests that you are throttling.
When the cpu reaches about 100c, it will slow down to protect itself.
If you run hwmonitor, you may see a max temperature of 100c. which suggests throttling.

One thing to do is to see that your cooling airways are clean and unobstructed.
Possibly your cpu and gpu coolers need to be remounted with fresh paste.
You can reduce heat by turning off the discrete graphics and using lower power integrated graphics.

Past that, experiment by reducing the max cpu performance while plugged in from 100% to a lower number like 70%

Reactions: Chiragdkothari
Solution
Apr 9, 2020
will it be wise to turn of turbo boost? ... how else can i downclock ?

Download ThrottleStop and look for a guide. It's possible my settings also works for you're 8750h but every cpu is different. Ps you can't really break something with downclocking or lowering the voltage offset, the only thing it will do when you go to low with voltage is shutdown and reboot (back to default settings).

My settings (cpu chace also -125.0 mV :
View: https://imgur.com/a/KAhYdnv

Intel did something to this cpu so voltage control is VERY limited! So static voltage control does not work anymore, only offset but also that is limited. Be aware of that while looking at guides how to use throttlestop with this cpu because allot of videos show things/settings that doesn't do anything anymore.

With my settings max 3.1Ghz you will have a bit fps loss and occasionally a stutter, but it doesn't throttle anymore and is way cooler!

Last edited: