[SOLVED] Laptop reboots frequently after New RAM

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I upgraded my laptop's ram from 4gb ddr3 to 8gb ddr3 . The laptop boots fine but after sometime system reboots automatically
I don't know what is causing the problem.
Laptop : Lenovo e41-15
Processor : Amd A4 PRO 3350B

Solution
Did you add another 4GB or did you remove the old 4GB and add in a new 8GB module?

if you added it to your existing RAM:
Ultimately, RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack), as the manufacturing process is delicate, and changes frequently, so technically you could get 2 of the EXACT same RAM model, but from 2 different packs, and they might not work together.

Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble, and the only way to know is to try the RAM together.
Getting RAM that is the same timings/voltages etc. is just a way of minimising risk of conflict, but by no means a way of eliminating it.

It's why best practice says you should always buy your RAM from the exact same pack, but there...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Did you add another 4GB or did you remove the old 4GB and add in a new 8GB module?

if you added it to your existing RAM:
Ultimately, RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack), as the manufacturing process is delicate, and changes frequently, so technically you could get 2 of the EXACT same RAM model, but from 2 different packs, and they might not work together.

Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble, and the only way to know is to try the RAM together.
Getting RAM that is the same timings/voltages etc. is just a way of minimising risk of conflict, but by no means a way of eliminating it.

It's why best practice says you should always buy your RAM from the exact same pack, but there are also plenty who have mixed modules working fine. It's just a gamble.

Solution

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Have you reset CMOS?
Then i would reinster the old and and if that works fine, the new RAM module could simple be DOA and would need to be returned.
What exactly is the new RAM in comparison to the old one? are you sure the motherboard supports it?
If the ram is a DOA then the system shouldn't boot. Everything works fine for sometime and then it suddenly reboots.
My old ram is a 4gb ddr3 1600mhz pc3l.
And my new ram is a 8gb ddr3 1600mhz pc3l.
Crucial says my laptop supports upto 8gb memory.
https://www.crucial.in/ind/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-e41-15
Only after checking that I bought the new ram.

lynx1021

Distinguished

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Not necessarily. I am referring to defective on arrival, defective RAM can still boot, but then cause all manner of instability, including random reboots. We see it all the time.

Does it work normally again with the old RAM?
System works fine with the old ram. Also the new ram works fine in other laptops.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
You can test your ram with Memtest86, I bought a set of crucial a couple of years ago an one stick was bad and they replaced it after I tested it with memtest86. Best to run overnight.
Create a bootable CD-ROM, Or a bootable USB

Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO " for the CD

Guide to using Memtest86+

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-RAM-with-MemTest86
I returned the ram.
I'll better buy crucials recommended ram module instead of kingston ram.

TRENDING THREADS