[SOLVED] Laptop recognizes GPU but will not utilize.

tneswick2

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Lenovo laptop, has a GeForce 940MX GPU in it, but it was using Intel integrated graphics (i7 7500U I believe is the CPU).

So I tried disabling the ingrated graphics, then it just starting using Microsoft Basic Display Driver, all while the GPU is sitting there unused, and according to windows it is up to date. The GPU is listed as GPU 1 (integrated was listed as GPU 0) any way to change the GPU to 0 so it is the default?

Currently I'm trying to manually update the 940 driver to see if that's the problem, I'll updated that soon. I haven't done a DDU yet, but that was my next plan of action.

I had to uninstall GeForce, it was way out of date and wouldn't update within itself. Reinstalled the latest version, and tried to update the got drivers from there, started the download and it was just stuck at 0% 0.00kb/0.00kb downloaded at 0kbps. I'm sure that's a whole other problem that I'll have to resolve later, so I just opted to manually install the latest.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?

Solution
Disregard. It seems it doesn't quite work like a desktop does (using the GPU for all visuals). GPU only engages when something heavily graphic starts up. I'll keep an eye on things to make sure indeed that is actually happening

tneswick2

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Disregard. It seems it doesn't quite work like a desktop does (using the GPU for all visuals). GPU only engages when something heavily graphic starts up. I'll keep an eye on things to make sure indeed that is actually happening

Solution