[SOLVED] Laptop Recommendation for CCTV ?

Ringwraith34544

Commendable
Oct 17, 2020
Hello I have 28 network cameras:
Dahua IPC-HFW1230S-S-0360B-S4
And I need a laptop that can handle monitoring 28 cameras and daily usage. I need it to have an ssd and eliptical shape. I dont want something that is overkill for the task. Also I need it to have an hdmi port.

Solution
English is not my main language so there might be wrong choice of words also I am not saving the recordings its live also the cameras are connected to the network system of the company. The software is "Smart PSS" you can see it here https://www.okisan.com/download/smart-pss-mac/ actually I have chosen macbook air m1 for daily usage and monitoring cameras also I meant corners by eliptical shape but I decided it doesnt really matter. Do you think macbook air is a good choice or do you recommend something else?
With that many cameras, a big screen monitor/TV is typically used. Possibly two. A 6x6 or 4x8 matrix on a 15 inch monitor will be very tiny pictures. Have you thought about something like an Intel NUC mounted...

Ralston18

Titan
Clarify "eliptical shape" - do you mean the laptop itself? Hopefully you actually mean rectangular shape. (Possible translation error..?)

What software are you using to monitor and control the cameras?

The laptop's hardware specs must match or exceed the monitoring software's hardware requirements.

Most software comes with hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

Are you saving camera recordings for future playback and review?

How long do you need to keep recordings? Storage requirements can be quite demanding with 28 cameras.

Drive/storage requirements are another consideration.

I would not be concerned about "overkill" per se. With 28 cameras and the likelihood of future changes (cameras, hardware, software, etc. )you probably need as powerful laptop as you can afford.

Ringwraith34544

Commendable
Oct 17, 2020
Clarify "eliptical shape" - do you mean the laptop itself? Hopefully you actually mean rectangular shape. (Possible translation error..?)

What software are you using to monitor and control the cameras?

The laptop's hardware specs must match or exceed the monitoring software's hardware requirements.

Most software comes with hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

Are you saving camera recordings for future playback and review?

How long do you need to keep recordings? Storage requirements can be quite demanding with 28 cameras.

Drive/storage requirements are another consideration.

I would not be concerned about "overkill" per se. With 28 cameras and the likelihood of future changes (cameras, hardware, software, etc. )you probably need as powerful laptop as you can afford.
English is not my main language so there might be wrong choice of words also I am not saving the recordings its live also the cameras are connected to the network system of the company. The software is "Smart PSS" you can see it here https://www.okisan.com/download/smart-pss-mac/ actually I have chosen macbook air m1 for daily usage and monitoring cameras also I meant corners by eliptical shape but I decided it doesnt really matter. Do you think macbook air is a good choice or do you recommend something else?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
With that many cameras, a big screen monitor/TV is typically used. Possibly two. A 6x6 or 4x8 matrix on a 15 inch monitor will be very tiny pictures. Have you thought about something like an Intel NUC mounted to the back of a 50 inch 4K monitor/TV ? That would be my recommendation.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have to admit, as a security professional, I am a bit confused as to why you would choose to have 28 cameras connected to your "companies network" with no PC/DVR/Head End installed to record and control them. This is very unusual.
Footage from that many cameras could not be kept up with by even several people in real time and with no way to pull the footage back up, what's the point?

I feel like we are missing a big something here...

TRENDING THREADS