Question Laptop recommendation (kind of...) ?

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this "not-so-much-of-a-problem" I have.

Currently have a Zephyrus M16 (2021 / 1600p-165Hz / i9-11900H / 3060 / 8+8 GB RAM), bought Apr-2022 around USD250 below retail price. It's good and does what I need (CAD, Excel crunching and basic productivity) plus some light gaming on the side (Apex, RA2, MS Games). The screen though, very gorgeous and sounds are great.

Then here comes an ad my way, they are selling their 2021 Strix Scar 17 (2021 / 1440p-165Hz / R9 5900HX / 3060 / 16GB RAM) which they have had for 11mos, as they will be buying a desktop. It will come with the backpack, the 240W Charger, 100W Type-C Charger, the External Camera and the ROG Plates (which I don't know what it adds, hehehe). The price we are dancing around is at USD1400 (I think retail price of this model is at 1900-2000). Will be checking the battery life, speakers, cosmetics and the screen this week, if it passes the test, then I'm in for something. Not really concerned on drive healths as I have spare SSDs, along with compatible memory modules.

So guys, does it look like a good deal?
(Comparing the M16 to the Scar 17: Higher TGP on the 3060 of the Scar 17, almost same screen color gamut, 16:9 vs 16:10, better single/multi-core...)

What else should I look for upon inspection?
(Will try working out the price if I see something not worth 1400...)

What will happen to my M16? - Might sell it but will remove secondary SSD and use it on the Scar 17. I have a Swift X that already fills my portability requirements. Not really keen on having three laptops.

Why am I looking at the Scar 17? - Side story: a bit envious of the 17" screen on my sister's HP Laptop 17 I bought her, when I borrowed it during a three-day stay at their place.

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
I'd leave that deal alone. Stick to what you've got. Work with it through it's useful lifecycle and then invest in a much better spec'd laptop a few years from now.

This is what first came to my mind and still is persisting. Might just go to the scheduled meet-up and check, as a modest person who set the appointment. Great advice.

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Given how the world is actually(going)...keeping your funds in a clinched fist would be the best course of action. Ofc, since you gave the seller your word, it's good to show up and at least have a conversation. In fact, we need more people like that. For some of my gear that I sold(in my country) I've had no shows as well, made me think "you could've just called and told me you've changed your mind".

My 2 cents ;)

Reactions: TheMightySquelch

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Given how the world is actually(going)...keeping your funds in a clinched fist would be the best course of action. Ofc, since you gave the seller your word, it's good to show up and at least have a conversation. In fact, we need more people like that. For some of my gear that I sold(in my country) I've had no shows as well, made me think "you could've just called and told me you've changed your mind".

My 2 cents ;)

Yeah, all of this is 110% true. We never know, the meet-up could lead to other connections or opportunities (does not hurt).

Had the same experience as you, they would ask a lot of questions, then dead silent when they get the info, never to interact again.

Even a better follow-up reply. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Lutfij

TheMightySquelch

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
As an update... very weird thing happened...

They rescheduled the meet-up as they had more pressing matters to attend. Then after almost four weeks, (where I completely forgot about it), they sent a message that if we can push through with the meet, so I said 'yeah' and went.

They were good people, a couple, a bit younger than me and looked like they were in the midst of starting a small business. Saw the desktop they were saying (they bought it already), and some more laptops, but I didn't pry; not in the agenda.

Upon checking, the device was okay... no scratches, no dead pixels, audio was still fantastic, SSD was at 98% health and battery wear level was at 12% (was hoping for around 4-5 but, it's been a year of use).

Before I could say anything, they dropped the price even more. I asked why, they said that I was the only one interested that did not low-ball them in the beginning. I was quite surprised, because the device is a good device (the 2022 model I think made it even better). I kept on saying that they may get a higher price than what they were giving me, but both of them were decided and I gave in... it was USD900. Yeah, I know...

Offered to cook lunch for them as it was around 1pm, but they politely declined.

It's been five days now, just testing the unit, figuring out the sens of the keystone, hehehe... got the battery wear level down to 8% ...

Just wanted to share.