Laptop recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would not, even for a second, consider a Celeron processor with Windows 10.

Have you looked at machines with AMD APUs in them? I was very happy with my laptop with an A8 and later upgraded to one with an A12-9700P and 12GB RAM.

In my opinion, the bang for the buck given by AMD chips is much higher than Intel.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, as far as bloatware elimination, if you're getting a new machine you can accomplish that in one fell swoop by reinstalling Windows 10 sourced via the Microsoft Media Creation tool as virtually your first step once you get an account setup.

It's the cleanest version of Windows 10 you can get, and almost certain to be more recent than what's shipped on any machine that's been on the shelf.

For under 300 chromebook heres a few decent ones. Not too many options tho.

Heres a white one:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...XX2RUCJUDjjLAhQXzgIaAvLHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Truly horrible 4 core ARM CPU from 4 years ago. 4gb ram and 32gb flash
Thanks to the arm CPU, im not sure about windows 10.

$199. Celeron, 4gb ram, and 32gb emmc.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...6x-sPQhTWlNb0oUecJkaAoOAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Id most certainly pick the bottom one. its actually a good deal for a 15 in X86 laptop.
It will perform decently in chrome os and can run windows if you want to.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
Anyone particularly knowledgeable about the Khan academy and have insight into what would be the best device for filling out the math problems ?

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
What is X86?
It's a chromebook and isn't running Windows?

Also how is the screen quality on the Acer 15 chromebook?

I was looking for an Acer 15 in white but I couldn't find it. I definitely want to go with 15 inches

Last edited:
It's kind of complicated and I wouldn't be the best person to explain it.

AMD and Intel processors are X86. This means they execute the x86 instruction set.

The processor in a smartphone, for example, is not X86. They are very power efficient but pretty low performance in general.

The processor in the white Chromebook is similar to the processor of a mid-range phone from 4 years ago.
Should be fine for web browsing, but not much more.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If money is an object, and clearly it is (and I understand that all too well), you would be far better off looking at factory refurbished PCs with better specs than most Chromebooks with a cost below a new Chromebook.

The last 3 laptops I've acquired were HP factory refurbished and they were indistinguishable from brand new with the exception of the packaging they came in.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
I might as well get a refurbished chromebook.

Now, if I could only find an Acer 15 in white...

How does the keyboard feel on one of these?

I see the Acer 11, and I'll probably get it

To be honest, do not buy a refurbished Chrome book. You would be better suited to a used or refurbished windows machine.

For college, I assume you are going to type a lot. A cramped keyboard on an 11in laptop of any kind will make you hate your assignments even more.

Also, the 16 or 32gb storage these Chromebooks come with is insufficient for holding much at all. If you buy refurbished, you might not even get the "free" cloud space to store documents and stuff with the machine.

Also, only the cut down mobile versions of Microsoft Office apps can be used on a Chromebook. You will be stuck with Google substitutes.

Just not a good idea.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
I won't be typing a lot of letters, just numerical entry, probably won't a fully sized keyboard...

And I guess it would be nice to play a few games too.....

Agh

So which computer?

What is your true hard budget? It seems to have shrunken a lot from the beginning, which I can understand.

For now, here's a low-cost entry:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168348..._re=Laptop_Refurbished-_-34-845-362-_-Product

$213
Core I7 CPU (an older dual-core with a 3.7ghz turbo, but still loads better than a new Celeron)
8GB Ram
128GB SSD
Windows 10
15.6 in HD screen
Comes with battery and charger
Refurbished from Newegg

Lenovo Thinkpads are very solid and well-built laptops with tons of ports and usually solid keyboards.

This laptop is very thick and may not have great battery life, but its much better in every other way compared to a similarly priced Chromebook.

Or if you absolutely want something smaller, cheaper and thinner:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-i3168...a6b4d8a8b9c1bf805a7e1cd&LH_ItemCondition=2500
$190
4 Core intel pentium
4GB ram
500gb HDD
2 in 1 with HD 11in touchscreen

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $135.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $68.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $66.89 @ Amazon
Storage | Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $29.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card | $134.99 @ Newegg
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox E300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $44.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $526.82
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $506.82
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-25 20:27 EDT-0400 |

The best value is if you build it.
This will play nearly any game out there at 1080p maxed out.

Gregg101

Great
Jul 21, 2019
They don't include the windows operating system or a moniter!

What full system could I get for the price of the E15?

Any word about the standalone moniter systems?