Question Laptop Recommendation

n8dogg59

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Hi there. I'm going back to school at age 40 for a programming degree and need to get a new laptop. Below are the answers to the questions the best I can. Thanks in advance for any recommendations and help.

1. What is your budget? Hopefully around $600 but could go higher if really necessary

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want? I have no idea how to answer this. I'm really just going to use it for programming classes and then the kids can watch shows on it sometimes if needed. Things like that.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Will need to be portable.

5. How much battery life do you need? I don't know what to expect here. Obviously the more battery life the better but don't want to spend much extra for this.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Just school work, web surfing, watch netflix/disney

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I think 500 GB would be plenty

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Whatever is recommended. We have a Costco membership and there's a number of laptops there around $600 but I don't know how good they are.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Forever lol. After classes for a year it will just be used to go on the internet and watch netflix/disney. Things like that.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't think I need one

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any brand as long as it's reputable and recommended

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I would like it to be as thin and light as possible but it's not a deal breaker.