Question Laptop recommendation?

Feb 12, 2021
1. What is your budget?
I'd rather not exceed 1800 US$ but my budget is flexible

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" or 15.6". 17.3" is too large.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080, I don't think I really need a QHD display

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, I'll carry the laptop around a lot

5. How much battery life do you need?
8 hours on daily use would be reasonable

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I do play games, but I'm not a full time gamer. I want to be able to play demanding titles like Witcher 3 in high settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm a programmer, I will develop apps and games, and sometimes I will do rendering as well.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1 TB, absolutely SSD. I hate HDDs.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A minimum of 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None, I'm OK with external optical drives

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't really prefer any brand as long as the laptop does the job

13. What country do you live in?
Turkey

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I use GNU/Linux and I want all the hardware to be compatible with GNU/Linux.
I always prefer AMD to Intel.
The GPU should be an RTX 3070, I used to think that a 3060 would be enough but my friends have said that its 6 GB VRAM would bottleneck the card, and it won't be worth the buck.
I don't avoid Max-Q cards, like, how bad can they possibly be?
I've been waiting for the Ampere mobile GPUs since last summer, so I'd rather not buy a 20-series card.
The lack of a webcam is a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
1. What is your budget?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I do play games, but I'm not a full time gamer. I want to be able to play demanding titles like Witcher 3 in high settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm a programmer, I will develop apps and games, and sometimes I will do rendering as well.

None

A minimum of 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Turkey

The GPU should be an RTX 3070, I used to think that a 3060 would be enough but my friends have said that its 6 GB VRAM would bottleneck the card, and it won't be worth the buck.
I've been waiting for the Ampere mobile GPUs since last summer, so I'd rather not buy a 20-series card.
What do you need the 3070 for exactly? Also 3000 cards won’t have as much performance gain on laptops as the gain in the desktop cards has mainly come from ramping up to power consumption.

Feb 24, 2021
1. What is your budget?

None

A minimum of 5 years

Turkey

Do you want professional laptop?

Feb 24, 2021
I suggest you to buy a desktop if you actually do video editing. Bitwit made a great video for a desktop with a 3070 for about $1000. If you actually want a laptop with a 3070 here are some options:
ASUS - TUF DASH 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel 11th Gen i7 - 16GB Memory - GeForce RTX 3070 - 1TB M.2 PCIEG3 SSD - Eclipse Grey - Eclipse Grey: $1450
HP OMEN - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 512GB SSD - Shadow Black: $1600
Razer - Blade 15 Base - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - FHD 144Hz - Intel Core i7 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070-16GB RAM-512GB SSD - Black: $1900 on sale

I recommend the ASUS one since it has a 240hz display, but the other ones are good options too...