Laptop resolution not going beyond 1080p where as it supports 4k

abhiranhalder99

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Greetings,

I am posting this on behalf of my brother. He is using this MSI laptop:
( https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GX63VR/Overview ) .

The problem with this, is that his laptop supports 4k display resolution but it is not possible to go beyond Full HD i.e 1080p. I have checked all the drivers and saw every single driver plus windows is up to date. I have uninstalled both the Intel and Nvidia driver and have done a clean re install of them and that didn't solve the issue. Also just want to mention, I downloaded the Intel driver from msi.com and the Nvidia one from nvidia.com since the nvidia driver was of 2017 in the MSI website.

He has already contacted MSI regarding help but instead of providing any kind of technical assistance, MSI directly created a RMA number and have asked him to ship the laptop to MSI which as not really possible right now from him as he needs it literally every single day for him college.

Any kind of help and assistance would be really helpful.

Thank you.

Has this always had the issue or did it stop working only after you updated the nVidia drivers? I would work with MSI support and have your parents find him a cheap loaner laptop to use. It may be that he got the wrong system with the wrong screen no the 4k version.