Question Laptop restarts when I open games on external monitor (TV) ?

Typharius

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
Hello all, last two days my laptop has started crashing to restart when opening (weirdly, certain games, not others but many) games. After many hours of troubleshooting, reinstalling windows, driver updates, roll backs, redistributable pack installs.... And losing hundreds of gigabytes of installed mods and games I'd spent about 4 days installing...

I realised it was a multi monitor issue because when I load the games on the laptop screen alone they work fine.

This has never been an issue before, and I have just spent about 4 hours in display settings and nvidia control panel messing with resolutions to absolutely no avail. I have narrowed down the issue after an incredibly frustrating, and incredibly inconvenient process, but I am noway near closer to figuring out the solution. I am at my wits end.

Please help!

Laptop is a Rog Strix G15
3070 Ti
Ryzen 9 6900hx
16gb ram,
Windows 11
TV is a Samsung QN90B50

Lutfij

Titan
Is your laptop on the latest BIOS version? As for your drivers, did you let the OS install all relevant drivers or did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator...? As for your GPU drivers, perhaps try with running DDU and then manually reinstall with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Typharius

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
Is your laptop on the latest BIOS version? As for your drivers, did you let the OS install all relevant drivers or did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator...? As for your GPU drivers, perhaps try with running DDU and then manually reinstall with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Yes, latest bios, DDU was used before installing the nvidia driver.

Typharius

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
I've been digging and another asus user said a program "Sonic suite" was the cause. Shall investigate, others have had this exact issue. What blows my mind is the lack of knowledge and solutions, I've posted in 5 different tech forums... just my luck to get a rare problem.

Reactions: Lutfij

Typharius

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
Might also want to see if uninstalling Armory Crate(if it's installed on your laptop) helps you as well. In my tenure in this industry, the weirdest of predicaments tend to happen.

I found that nothing crashes except when played fullscreen. Borderless window, or windowed is stable. I've completely reinstalled windows from cloud and covered every base in terms of drivers etc. It's absolutely perplexing. Same laptop on my old TV had no problems.

Another thing I've found is on device manager, looking at monitors and in event viewer it says:

'Device settings for DISPLAY\SAM71FB\5&2efcbf46&0&UID4355 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.' - This is the TV

And a nearly identical 'DISPLAY\CMN1540' - For the laptop monitor.

I've tried updating drivers but it says latest for monitors, and I've even uninstalled off device manager hoping it would renew them but no effect.