laptop running dual 4k monitors

rosphite1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
I've asked a similar question, probably in the wrong forum area, that got no replies so I'm trying it here aswell.

From research I've done, I was of the understanding that the combination of the integrated GPU of an i7 8750H and a basic 4K dedicated GPU like 1050ti would be sufficient to drive 2 4K monitors at 60Hz if you have 2 output connectors from USB-C/mDP 1.4/DP 1.4/HDMI/Thunderbolt 3 (with necessary adaptors if necessary) - specifically - without a docking startion.
The output is purely 2D - no gaming or advanced 3D graphic required hence suggesting basic 4K GPUs.

I've contacted some manufacturers. MSI wont answer, ASUS just direct you to their sales page and Dell say it's not possible without a docking station (and won't specify if thats just their products).

So, my question; is what I'm asking possible and if anyone has had any success in such a setup?

Well, if it were 1080p you could chain together multiple monitors using DisplayPort over USB C, but it doesn't have the bandwidth to drive more than one 4K monitor. If you got something with an HDMI port and a USB C port with DisplayPort over USB supported you might be able to do it... but the easiest way is to get a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 and a docking station. Another alternative is to get an external GPU enclosure that supports output through the graphics card and just hook the monitors into that. It wouldn't need to be a powerful card so that'd lower the cost a bit. Something like an RX 550 or GT 1030 should drive 2 4k monitors as long as you aren't gaming.

The limits here are the power of the graphics adapter and the DisplayPort standard... and HDMI while we are at it.

The Thunderbolt based docking stations aren't cheap either. Depending on who you get them from. I found one on Amazon from StarLink and the non powered, least expensive, one is $122. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...StarTech&qid=1554747264&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

This "super dongle" seems to be the best way to go about doing what you want to do, so you'll have to get a laptop with Thunderbolt.

And any way you look at it, you are going to need a monitor that has a USB C input or you are going to need to buy a dongle anyways to adapt the USB C to a DisplayPort connector. Neither of which are cheap. So, the "super dongle" plus 2 4K monitors would be the better way to go. You can also hook up a wireless keyboard and mouse to it so you have a 2 cable docking solution. Just attach the power and dongle when you are at your desk, and detach them to go mobile.

Actually, this is how my work computer is set up. I have the laptop with a Thunderbolt connection hooked up to a docking station with a dual DisplayPort outputs (the integrated graphics don't really do 2 4k outputs though, even though Thunderbolt has plenty of bandwidth), ethernet, USB, and power connections. The laptop is charged over the Thunderbolt connection so it is just a one cable solution. I keep my power brick in my bag and just have the one cable to disconnect when I need to go somewhere with it.

Hopefully something in there helps.

rosphite1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
Thanks Justin thats a lot of info. I hadn't realised that those cards could support 2 4K screens. I'm not sure about the 1030 as I can't seem to find one with 2 "4k" connectors. But the 1050 appears to suffice.