laptop screen black and lines all across! HELP!

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
Hello,

Yesterday I got a blue screen and then my computer broke.
How it exactly happened: I was just using my computer and then suddenly red lines started running across the monitor and the sound started repeating. 5 seconds after I, got a blue screen, which also had red lines everywhere.

Now the screen is divided into 3 parts when booting up and later 2 parts. Red and green lines all over. Note: half of the screen is darker than the other half.

Picture
apheg4.jpg

I tried to get a picture where the screen turns into 2 parts with green lines all over, but it's too dark to appear on the photo.

What I have tried:
External monitor - no signal
Team Viewer - screen is black, cursor shows on the other screen.

I checked the the thermal paste, it was pretty much gone, no wonder the laptop has been 80 degrees Celsius.

What should and could I do? Any ways I can still save my laptop?

Will look forward to every response.
Many thanks!

Solution
Apologies for the late reply.

It seems to me then that it's an issue with the GPU. I've done some looking around and this seems to be a common problem with the GeForce 8600M GS. It could have been the screen but because you have no luck with an external monitor that seems to rule that out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If your laptop is still within warranty then maybe see if you can get it repaired but with what I have read it seems that the problem can still persist as the fix is just temporary.

Again, really sorry for not being of much help.

Nick

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
If you don't have any luck with an external monitor then I think it could be a graphics issue. Does your laptop have shared or dedicated graphics?

What are the specs of your laptop?

Hopefully i'm wrong and it's an issue that easily solved - you could try re-applying some thermal paste and see if that works. It could be an overheating issue.

Nick :)

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

I don't know the difference between shared and dedicated graphics. The card is a GeForce 8600M GS

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Shared or integrated graphics share your computers resources where as dedicated graphics provide their own beef instead of using what resources the computer has.

I ask what you have because these days the graphics processing is part and parcel of the CPU instead of being built into the Mobo.

Anyway - erm - to me it sounds like either a fault with the GPU or possibly faulty drivers. Have you updated the drivers lately?

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

Tried to update the drivers about a month ago, which resulted in my external monitor to not function properly. I had to system restore to get to the previous version of the driver. Therefore no, haven't updated the drivers.

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
And your computer has been running from the system restore up until now?

Does the screen alter at all? Can you see your OS? Or does it stay looking like the image above?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to cover every possibility.

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

Well I restored the system to a date 5 days before I had downloaded the initial update.

At first, when the screen is divided into 3 white parts (as shown on the picture), I can see the windows logo and a blurry bit of the taskbar. The time is 11:00 I THINK, since I can't see it so clearly.

I cannot enter safe mode because I can't see the screen.

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Apologies for the late reply.

It seems to me then that it's an issue with the GPU. I've done some looking around and this seems to be a common problem with the GeForce 8600M GS. It could have been the screen but because you have no luck with an external monitor that seems to rule that out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If your laptop is still within warranty then maybe see if you can get it repaired but with what I have read it seems that the problem can still persist as the fix is just temporary.

Again, really sorry for not being of much help.

Nick

Solution

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

Hello, is there any way I could fix the GPU myself?

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I very much doubt it. The GPU is normally just built in to the motherboard so if you do "dismantle" the chip you'd probably do more damage and risk breaking more than just the GPU.

However there are some fixes on the internet such as using a hairdryer to fix it, but even then, the people who have done this with some success have said that it was only temporary.

Mardu

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

Yes, I read that a guy heated it with a small torch and fixed it permanently. I will try to do that as well as soon as I acquire a blowtorch.

Well thank you for your time, you have been very helpful.