Question Laptop screen black when not plugged in

Jan 3, 2020
laptop: Asus F555l

Hey guys,

I've been having this issue for years with this laptop. Whenever I unplug my laptop, the screen goes completely black. The laptop is still on and runs fine (e.g. if you connect it to a screen it will display it fine on that screen). When I plug it in, the screen is back to normal. I had a feeling it was the battery as a few years ago, it didn't completely go black, but started flickering when the battery was anywhere less than ~50% battery, then, it started flickering at even 100% battery, now the screen is just black no matter what unplugged.

I also had a guess it was maybe the OS, and tried going into the BIOS back when the battery was flickering at 100% battery. Results were good, no flickering for 30 minutes, then it started flickering again. Now, it's also just black even at 100% battery in BIOS.

I replaced my battery today and the issue still persists. Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

Jan 3, 2020
I don't seem to see a setting to have screen brightness on battery.
But I don't think it would be the setting either way as initially it started with screen flickering when on battery then it eventually degraded to just being black. It also persists in BIOS.