Question Laptop screen flashes when battery is connected but not with battery removed ?

Jul 13, 2023
I have a five-year-old Dell Inspiron 7370 laptop running Windows 11. The graphics driver is updated. I do not, however, believe this issue is Windows related. The problem began occurring a year ago intermittently and used to resolve on its own after a few minutes; now it is constant.

When the internal battery is connected, whether or not the laptop is on AC power, the screen flashes to the extent that the laptop is unusable. The flashing occurs even when rebooting (when the Dell logo appears before Windows has started loading).

Once in Windows, if I adjust the brightness, the flashing changes randomly from dark to light flashing but not coordinated with the brightness setting.

I tried a new battery, and nothing changed. (Old battery was only a year old).

The oddest part and hopefully a clue of some sort is this: If I disconnect the battery (with or without removing it from the laptop itself) and run on AC power, the screen will stay solid and usable provided the brightness level is within a certain range. (Range is 0 - 99 and the problem disappears only if set between 29 and 40 provided the internal battery is unplugged). However, once the battery is reconnected the problem fully returns both with and without AC power.

Any thoughts or possible solutions?

Thanks much.

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
Just gonna go off on a limb but probably bad display as it requires a specific amount of power to use and the battery is adding more voltage to it. Ever just use a separate display over it or you not into that?

Reactions: GS0032
Fixed many many laptop monitor issues like this and every time it turned out to be internal monitor cable loose, kinked, or so. Also next to the hinges are killer on monitor cable. IDK maybe your monitor cable routes where battery pushes on it. Hope this helps

Reactions: GS0032
Jul 13, 2023
@stonecarver @NanoSuit3 Thanks for the replies. I wound up buying a new full LCD assembly ($140.00 - reasonable I think). From all that I've read, my best guess is the problem was a faulty inverter. Regardless, replacing the display was fairly easy and the laptop is working normally again. Thanks again.

Reactions: NanoSuit3