[SOLVED] Laptop screen flickering red and green. External monitor works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarongellado

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
My laptop screen's been flickering with red and green lines that cover up the entire screen. I tried using an external monitor to see if the problem is really the laptop screen or the gpu, but the external monitor seems to work fine. The problem seems to occur randomly, but frequently enough to be irritating and damaging to my eyes. We're under quarantine so I can't get the laptop checked for the next 2 or more weeks.

Laptop model: Asus FX570UD
Display adapters:
-Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Here are the other measures I took:
-Tried puttting the laptop lid on certain angles if it flickers at a certain position and opened the laptop fiddled the flex cable to see if that's the problem, It's not.
-Uninstalled and re-installed the driver.
-The problem seems to go away for a while after disabling and re-enabling the Intel VGA driver.
-The problem persists even inside the bios menu.
-The problem persists after uninstalling the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 driver
-Checked the refresh rate. It's still at 60Hz. Never changed it

What I need to know is if the problem lies with the GPU or the screen itself, cause I'm not so sure. I'm almost confident that it's the screen, but I don't wanna go buy a screen online then later find out that the GPU was the problem. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me confirm where the problem is and if there are steps I could take to further make sure where the problem is

Solution
Have you tried disabling integrated graphics in bios and running it on 1050 only? Or the other way around. Its very rare that you get problems like this with intel UHD, it is not software related since you experience it in bios.
You cant solve it within the operating system since driver doesnt even load in bios so ANY software issue can be discarded.

Its most likely the cable or screen. You both can try to update latest bios if there is vbios updates but doubt it.
Start from the cable : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cavo-Fla...974817?hash=item3fd36b7621:g:XkYAAOSwmXtd6j7K

When you guys search for LCD cable IF your screen is fullHD you need the 2 channel EDP...
May 19, 2020
Hey, I'm experiencing a very similar issue and my setup is almost identical except my model is an Acer Nitro5, I've performed the same basic troubleshooting steps. The weird thing is in my situation that it's not persistent, after a while it goes away and then comes back and goes away again.

Did you find any solution or identify what the problem was?

Have you tried disabling integrated graphics in bios and running it on 1050 only? Or the other way around. Its very rare that you get problems like this with intel UHD, it is not software related since you experience it in bios.
You cant solve it within the operating system since driver doesnt even load in bios so ANY software issue can be discarded.

Its most likely the cable or screen. You both can try to update latest bios if there is vbios updates but doubt it.
Start from the cable : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cavo-Fla...974817?hash=item3fd36b7621:g:XkYAAOSwmXtd6j7K

When you guys search for LCD cable IF your screen is fullHD you need the 2 channel EDP cable. Keep this in mind when you order the cables, there can be one cable for other resolution screens.

Reactions: damnaxelotels
Solution
May 19, 2020
Its most likely the cable or screen. You both can try to update the latest bios if there is vbios updates but doubt it.

Hey, thanks for responding!

My BIOS doesn't seem to expose any settings to disable the onboard graphics. But I tried disabling the drivers from the device manager, and it still didn't change anything. Either way, the thing is the problem doesn't happen every time. It's like the screen flickers for 1s, then goes away for 3s, then again flickers for 1s, and then after a few mins, it goes away completely for like a couple of days. So troubleshooting it has been weird. My laptop is an Acer Nitro5 with similar specs, do you think some cable is loose or something and when I move the laptop around this happens?

I cant diagnose without seeing the screen / cable. First i would try reseating the cable on the motherboard AND lcd side. when you disassembly (look videos how) remmeber to first plug off power cable, then the battery (if battery is integrated first thing to do is REMOVE the battery connector from the motherboard) after that your safe to do anything.

Remove the lcd cable connector from motherboard and connect it back, do the same thing on the screen (remove bezel and reconnect / connect it back) there is videos like "Acer nitro 5 screen swap" etc which can help you out.

Oct 11, 2021
My laptop screen's been flickering with red and green lines that cover up the entire screen. I tried using an external monitor to see if the problem is really the laptop screen or the gpu, but the external monitor seems to work fine. The problem seems to occur randomly, but frequently enough to be irritating and damaging to my eyes. We're under quarantine so I can't get the laptop checked for the next 2 or more weeks.

Laptop model: Asus FX570UD
Display adapters:
-Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Here are the other measures I took:
-Tried puttting the laptop lid on certain angles if it flickers at a certain position and opened the laptop fiddled the flex cable to see if that's the problem, It's not.
-Uninstalled and re-installed the driver.
-The problem seems to go away for a while after disabling and re-enabling the Intel VGA driver.
-The problem persists even inside the bios menu.
-The problem persists after uninstalling the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 driver
-Checked the refresh rate. It's still at 60Hz. Never changed it

What I need to know is if the problem lies with the GPU or the screen itself, cause I'm not so sure. I'm almost confident that it's the screen, but I don't wanna go buy a screen online then later find out that the GPU was the problem. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me confirm where the problem is and if there are steps I could take to further make sure where the problem is

I have the same laptop as yours and I also encounter this problem yesterday. What did you do to fix this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS