Question Laptop screen flickering with installed Intel HD Graphics driver (stops when disabled)

dumdum12

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
Hello, I have this issue with my laptop Asus UX360CA and I think it has something to do either with my HDMI port or Intel's graphics drivers. It's happened a couple of months ago, but it somehow resolved itself. Now it's back and I'd like to deal with it.

Some quick notes:
  • The laptop had to be repaired once for loose hinge that holds the display
  • The screen stops flickering when I disable Intel HD Graphics 515 in Device Manager, or install (manually) the basic Microsoft display driver
  • The screen stops flickering with Intel Graphics driver enabled once connected to external source via HDMI (works with extended display, duplicate, only 2nd screen) but as soon as I disconnect the cable, or keep it connected but limit it to laptop screen, it starts flickering again
  • It flickers only slightly (once in a while) in full screen apps like FTL game
I tried manually installing older display drivers I downloaded from Intel's support site with no avail. Went as back as to 2016 drivers and once I let it automatically update online to the newest driver. Nothing. With Intel driver disabled, it's perfectly suitable for office work and light browsing, but it's too slow for Youtube and it can't probaly run any full screen apps (it couldn't FTL).

Appreciate any help.

Edit: sorry for posting this thread twice (first in Laptop General support), I didn't notice it was waiting for an approval and thought it was deleted on request as this is probably bettter subforum. It was removed now.

Last edited:

dumdum12

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
Since you had hinge problems I would look to see if maybe the flickering is sensitive to position of screen due to sensors or wiring gone bad along the hinges. While using the laptop move the screen back and forth its full motion and see if it affects it at all.
Ok, I did full 180, didn't affect flickering at all. I believe it must be some SW/driver issue since it can be "fixed" with disabling the Graphics driver. I'm thinking about reinstalling Windows as the last option.

dumdum12

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
Do you have power saving enabled in bios. Perhaps try disabling power saving in bios. Also you could try putting windows power setting to high performance just to see if it helps. You might want to check your frequency and resolution in display settings to make sure they are set to normal settings.

dumdum12

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
Do you have power saving enabled in bios. Perhaps try disabling power saving in bios. Also you could try putting windows power setting to high performance just to see if it helps. You might want to check your frequency and resolution in display settings to make sure they are set to normal settings.
Don't have such a setting in BIOS. Interstingly, the screen didn't flicker there. I set Intel Graphics power plan to maximum performance, no change.