Question Laptop screen flickering

Feb 19, 2023
For reference the laptop model is a Lenovo Ideapad S145-15API

Hello, last week my laptop screen started flickering a lot, at first i was afraid it was a GPU problem, but my external monitor image is 100% fine, no problems there, so I discarded that possibility and decided to buy a flat cable. To my surprise replacing the flat cable didn't solve the issue so I'm making this post to ask if this can be an issue on the actual screen before I buy a new one. Here's a video of the problem for reference: https://streamable.com/teiib9. In the end I also show side by side the external monitor and laptop screen.

I ask if this can be a problem in the actual screen because i have never seen something like this as a screen problem. For me it made more sense to be the flat cable, although I'm no expert in laptops or screens. Laptop never took any hit, fall etc. In my head screen problems were always dead pixels, burn in, it would straight up not show anything etc. Also I'm afraid it might be a problem in the flat cable socket in the laptop's motherboard although the appearance of the socket is fine, any help appreciated thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could yet try:
1| use your serial number on Lenovo's support page
2| check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates
3| make sure your OS is updated to the latest version
4| manually reinstall the chipset drivers for your laptop(with that found off Lenovo's support site)
5| use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall the latest off of Lenovo's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If the problem only exists on the laptop, the issue might very well be compounded on the laptop itself, i.e, the display on your laptop needs replacing(as you've stated you've replaced the flat ribbon cable for the display on the laptop or that's what I'm assuming it to be.). The issue isn't seen on the external display which would mean your iGPU/GPU are not at fault.