• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Laptop screen goes black during use then shuts down minutes later.

CountJukeYou

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Older gaming laptop (gateway FX series) will boot just fine and run for a seemingly random amount of time before the screen will go black (no display at all not even backlight) and then anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes later it will shut down.

The event viewer gives me no helpful info besides the fact that the laptop shut down unexpectedly. It charges fine and the battery is old but still seems to hold a charge. It happens both when plugged in and on battery power.

I’ve wiped it completely Incase it was software based but it still does it on a fresh install. Not my primary or even secondary device so it’s more of just a project to see if I can fix it at this point.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS