[SOLVED] Laptop screen has vertical lines/streaks?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I have a Latitude E6410, the screen was working than out of nowhere vertical lines/streaks appeared. The lines/streaks are present in both bios and bios diagnostics so a software problem probably isn't the issue. The lines/streaks aren't distinct as in their not a solid color like a black or red line, their more like faint color/brightness variations that form lines are slightly brighter/darker than normal and very in width. Hooked up a external monitor and the lines aren't present, also the lines aren't present when the screen/image is white or black(still present if light black/gray).

Solution
Some small parts of your panel's controller have probably just given up a bit of their magic smoke, given your laptop's age.

You could try to reconnect the ribbon cables, though that would involve a near-complete disassembly for many laptops, which may or may not worth the risk of additional damage (or the time spent) for the questionable chance of any improvement.

Use an external monitor, if repair or replacement are unavailable.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Some small parts of your panel's controller have probably just given up a bit of their magic smoke, given your laptop's age.

You could try to reconnect the ribbon cables, though that would involve a near-complete disassembly for many laptops, which may or may not worth the risk of additional damage (or the time spent) for the questionable chance of any improvement.

Solution

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Left the laptop on all night cause of updates installing, and weirdly when I checked it this morning, the lines/streaks are virtually gone and only slightly noticeable at certain brightness's and view angles.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Left the laptop on all night cause of updates installing, and weirdly when I checked it this morning, the lines/streaks are virtually gone and only slightly noticeable at certain brightness's and view angles.
Reminded me of how my work laptop (of only a slightly newer vintage) used to freeze and glitch out with half a screen of artifacts every other restart a few months ago. It worked as good as new these days.

With luck it might recover by itself.