[SOLVED] Laptop screen issues

May 20, 2020
Hello. From time to time, my laptop screen gets some pink and green lines and the lower part of the screen stops working.
The issue seems to appear only on darker backgrounds as when I open the Chrome it somewhat comes back to normal, but it still keeps a little flicker.

The current operating system is Manjaro, but it did that before with Windows 10 too so I believe it is a hardware issue.

From what I found on the internet the panel seems to be an IPS one if that helps. (the model is Dell Inspiron 3543).

I attached two photos here if the explanation wasn't descriptive enough. View: https://imgur.com/a/UTZBYdJ

Solution
Only gpu is intel HD graphics ?

EDIT: happens in bios too?
You need to connect to external monitor via VGA or HDMI to see if its integrated HD graphics (unlikely) but its nice to rule out (if you get good picture on external means gpu is fine), if its not that and issue happens in bios too it leaves out LCD or LCD edp cable.

You need to connect to external monitor via VGA or HDMI to see if its integrated HD graphics (unlikely) but its nice to rule out (if you get good picture on external means gpu is fine), if its not that and issue happens in bios too it leaves out LCD or LCD edp cable.

Solution
May 20, 2020

The laptop also has a dedicated gpu, a nvidia gtx 840m.

It does it from time to time, not always, so it would be hard to find the right time to connect it to a monitor, but you are right, this is the next step to try.

When on Windows, I tried to make it use only the dedicated gpu from the Nvidia control panel but as it is not really user friendly and the explanations are not clear, I am not sure if the interface entirely ran through the dedicated gpu .

The thing that made me believe it is something to do with the screen or the cable is that it comes back after a while and works like intended. (so maybe factors like temperature or movement may influence this)

May 20, 2020
back with update. The secondary screen displays everything without issue. I also saw that it didn't happen when I was focusing on the second screen but appeared again when moving the mouse to the laptop screen. This makes me believe it is not a cable issue, but also puts me in a position where I have no idea what may be :(

TRENDING THREADS