Laptop screen kaput, given up

Aug 20, 2019
Hey. That's a miserable, Marvin the robot sounding hey, by the way. I've given up hope already, but a friend told me to post on here and I figured I didn't have anything to lose at this point. I can't afford to take it in for repair or buy a new one. I haven't even had this laptop that long.

Anyway so for weeks now my laptop screen has been whiting out (starting by going purple) during which moments it's inoperable - a failure of connection. I tilt the screen a bit and it's fixed. Over time it got worse until I might spend 5 minutes trying to get the screen to an exact point where the screen would start consistently picking up again.

I have no hardware expertise so was putting it off trying to fix it. By I looked up enough things with people talking about the same problem, and I tried to find Youtube videos about solving it by taking it apart. Finally gave it a go today. Wasn't easy because none of the Youtube videos were of my laptop so all the instructions and look of the thing were at least slightly different than what I was faced with. I'm also awful with physical problems. And clearly I made things worse because the screen stopped working full stop. I plowed on, trying to do everything I could, looking at and redoing the screen connections, taking it apart even more. I've spent hours on it getting increasingly frustrated (and damaging bits of the casing for certain trying to get it off). But while I could occasionally get some lines to appear on the screen, generally it has either been solid white or solid black.

I don't really expect there's any help for me at this point beyond being told to suck it up and buy a new one (dunno if it'd be worth the repair cost and they'd probably tell me it couldn't be fixed anyway so I'd have to pay even more). But thought I'd ask anyway. If there's anything else I can do.

My laptop is an HP 15-cd056na. I am now sitting directly in front of the TV hurting my eyes with my laptop hooked up by HDMI so I can use this screen.

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2019
the screen is not the problem but the cable that goes from the motherboard to the back of the screen is. the reason I say that is that you have to move the screen portion of the laptop to get it to work & the only only thing that moves in that area is the video cable by the left hinge.
https://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk...ION-15-CD056NA-15.6-LAPTOP-SCREEN__249721.asp
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnSNTU-T5_c

Thank you yes that is the first thing I tried, that was what all the posts and videos I read/watched were telling me to do. That is what I meant by screen connection. I removed the cable and then reinserted it carefully. At that point the problem got much worse and since then the laptop screen doesn't work no matter how I tilt it - it stays black. I've tried fiddling with it more, and with other stuff since, but nothing has helped. Just looking at the components, nothing seems out of sorts.

I have found out that the laptop is miraculously still under warranty so I'm gonna send it in but I really think I've voided the warranty by messing around inside (it's obvious because I've damaged the hinges opening it up and lost a couple of screws).