Question Laptop screen keeps glitching then freezing ?

May 29, 2023
I have a MSI GL62 6QD laptop which has an i5 CPU, 16GB RAM and a 950m GPU. Suddenly I have started to come across screen glitches and freezes which require hard reboots.

I have tried a different distribution of Ubuntu to see if it was driver related and chose pop os with nvidia drivers package.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem or is the laptop done for?

IMG-6171.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem or is the laptop done for?
You might want to see if installing Windows 10 on the laptop, then installing all relevant drivers, manually, for your laptop changes what you're seeing. If that resolves the issue(no more artifacting) then your prior OS/drivers are what's causing the glitching and eventual reboot.

You might want to also use something like GPU-Z on Ubuntu and see what your info for the discrete GPU shows up as.

There are several distros where proprietary drivers aren't installed by default, Fedora being one of those.

Therefore, you can give e.g. Fedora a try just to see of the same problems occur. If the issues are very frequent, then you should be able to only boot up the live desktop to test stability.

You can also give Debian a try, as that distro is known to be very stable.

There is another thing to mention - many big distros are using the display server Wayland. Try to use a distro using X11 instead just to see if that solve the screen issue. If I remember correctly, most distros with Xfce desktop still use X11.