Question Laptop Screen shows strange artefacts?

Apr 6, 2021
Hi everybody,

A couple of days ago my laptop screen started to display weird artefacts, especially when apps using dark theme are shown. I first wanted to check whether my video card is faulty, so I plugged in a second screen but they don't show up on it. Those artefacts also disappear after the screen has been turned on for a few minutes, and they get worse again once it's been off for some time.

I'm at a loss since they also do not always show up once I start my laptop. I own an ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IV (so the RTX2060 variant). I honestly wouldn't mind having to change the screen, but I want to make sure that this is actually the problem, so maybe someone can help me.

Here's a picture with the artefacts I'm talking about (on the top left side of the image), maybe it helps: View: https://imgur.com/a/m4qDi0B

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the issue isn't seen when operating an external display then the issue can very well be the display on your laptop. It's possible that the panel might've suffered from excessive force in your backpack or maybe there was a heavy object placed around that area. You might also have a faulty or failing display ribbon cable or that the panel is just giving out.

Is your laptop on the latest BIOS update?

If you can, try uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU, then reinstalling the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, installing the drivers in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apr 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the issue isn't seen when operating an external display then the issue can very well be the display on your laptop. It's possible that the panel might've suffered from excessive force in your backpack or maybe there was a heavy object placed around that area. You might also have a faulty or failing display ribbon cable or that the panel is just giving out.

Is your laptop on the latest BIOS update?

If you can, try uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU, then reinstalling the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, installing the drivers in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Thank you for your reply. Will try that first before buying a new screen I guess, but now I also noticed that if my laptop is on sleep mode, when I turn it back on the artefacts do not show up on the display, but if I shut it down and then turn it on after a few minutes they do. They always appear in the same spot and the pixels return to normal after a short while, so from these new findings I assume it is definitely the screen or the ribbon cable?