Question Laptop screen starts to flicker everytime i connect or disconnect an HDMI cable

Jan 24, 2023
Hi guys, i have an ASUS N552VX laptop and everytime i connect an hdmi cable the screen starts to flicker (you can see it on the photo, the screen starts to flicker from the bottom up) and in a few seconds it turns off (just the screen). When i disconnect the HDMI cable the screen usually goes back to normal, but other times i have to do this repeatedly until the screen gets normal.

I tried different HDMI cables but the problem always remained. I uploaded the drivers, i tried the installation of previous drivers, i tried different windows versions, but i never worked.

What could be the cause of this? Do you guys think its an hardware problem?

Jan 24, 2023
My thought is something loose or damaged around the HDMI port. Internal.

When the HDMI cable is connected does the flickering change in any way if you gently wiggle the HDMI plug?

No. Only when i completely remove the hdmi cable.

Sometimes i remove the cable and the flickering stops, othertimes the flickering stays and screen turns off and then i have to plug and unplug the cable several times until the flickering stops and the screen gets normal.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that something is loose or cracked inside. Some trace or solder joint serving the HDMI Port.

With the appropriate wiggling and other physical movement (plugging and unplugging) connectivity is restored.

May also be temperature sensitive. Warms up, expands, tightens a bit - connection improves. Cools down, contracts, connection gets worse and flickering occurs.

The laptop will need to be opened, inspected, and likely repaired.

Reactions: JJAbraham11