Question Laptop screen white/rainbow colored lines (ASUS FX553VD)

Projhunk

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
So I've had my ASUS FX553VD laptop for over a year and a half now and yesterday I had this random screen issue pop up out of no where.

The screen started flickering first and then the display started getting distorted. I updated the graphics card drivers and while that was happening the screen just completely went white with rainbow colored lines appearing randomly.

I have attached the images where this process can be seen. Additionally, moving the laptop lid, or closing and opening the lid sometimes returns the display to normal condition but starts distorting after a few seconds.

I am currently using an external monitor using an HDMI cable with the laptop and it is working perfectly fine. No issues so far.

Additional Note: I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO SSD in the laptop before and had no issues with that process. This installation was done approximately 6 months ago. I am currently not sure about the warranty availability since I purchased the laptop in a different country than the one I currently reside in.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the issue could be? I do have some tools at my disposal and I am willing to open up the laptop and fix it myself (granted the warranty doesn't come through).

Laptop Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Ram: 12 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO (operating system drive)
Storage: 1 TB mechanical hard drive

Projhunk

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
That is definitely covered by a warranty.

However, I'd say the display cable is either bad or loose.

If they won't cover it they're normally pretty easy to swap out providing you've had some previous experience is Assembly / Disassembly of a laptop.

Thanks for the response.

Just waiting on Monday to arrive now so I can contact ASUS support. Unfortunately the laptop screen malfunctioned right as the call support center was closing as well.

I've had previous experience in building a PC and installing an SSD in the laptop so I am quite comfortable with that part.