Laptop Search

rinzler001

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
1. What is your budget? 1,000 to 1,200 max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? at least a 15inch screen

3. What screen resolution do you want? full hd/1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? no

5. How much battery life do you need? average or better than average. i mean everyone wants a laptop with a super long battery life.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) mostly email and heavy internet use - twitch, twitter, reddit, youtube etc

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links: I prefer HP since I know the most about them but open to other options.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? ability to read blu-ray/dvd would be nice.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. HP because its the only PC's I've ever had and its just a personal preference. I am open to others.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed - 1TB storage - 500Gb HD(only because this may turn into a work computer soon) must be wifi 5G capable.
And if you are able to find any laptop with a keyboard that is not chiclet style you win the grand prize. I know this may not be an option any more but one can hope. IF not then a laptop with a good keyboard where the keys aren't so big and spaced out would be preferred.

1 : Zero, this is something I normally do for a friend or family member. That is making old computers running for as long time as possible.
2 : All sizes. Well - those models that are vendor locked doesn't go nowhere.
3 : No specifics. The GPU must be supported natively by Linux (somewhat linked to #2)
4 : Any
5 : Doesn't matter. What matters is that the batteries must be able to replace and the device must be able to be fully functional with none or defective batteries, when powered by wall adapter.
6 : No.
7 : Well yes, youtube isn't demanding so must require it can view youtube contents. I personally use Gimp and Inkscape regularly, but at the end it is the kind of work that matter - how big files can be loaded into Gimp at the end ?
8 : Depends. For just internet and banking, 256 is actually enough - The images and video storage is located in a stationary computer.
9 : This depends on the location/country so I prefer to use those local at here. Also since I must have a keyboard with NO layout, so it make no sense getting it from international web sites.
10 : Yes as long as possible / feasible. Had a laptop from like 2007 that was running good, but replaced in 2019 - it had no battery capacity left, the head phone outlet was defective (hw issue) and the cpu cooling wasn't able to cool the CPU enough, so after some minutes with CPU intensitive tasks (e.g. video encoding), it just cut power. With that, it was time to replace.
11 : have none on this one, not required either. I have CD/DVD writer at the stationary computer anyway.
12 : I'm not especially found of any specific brand, as long as it isn't vendor locked - i.e. are able to boot and install *nix.
13 : Norway
14 : If it have either touchpad, WiFi or any other essential components are unable to work with Linux (because vendor haven't created a driver) that is a major turn-off.

rinzler001

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
1 : Zero, this is something I normally do for a friend or family member. That is making old computers running for as long time as possible.
2 : All sizes. Well - those models that are vendor locked doesn't go nowhere.
3 : No specifics. The GPU must be supported natively by Linux (somewhat linked to #2)
4 : Any
5 : Doesn't matter. What matters is that the batteries must be able to replace and the device must be able to be fully functional with none or defective batteries, when powered by wall adapter.
6 : No.
7 : Well yes, youtube isn't demanding so must require it can view youtube contents. I personally use Gimp and Inkscape regularly, but at the end it is the kind of work that matter - how big files can be loaded into Gimp at the end ?
8 : Depends. For just internet and banking, 256 is actually enough - The images and video storage is located in a stationary computer.
9 : This depends on the location/country so I prefer to use those local at here. Also since I must have a keyboard with NO layout, so it make no sense getting it from international web sites.
10 : Yes as long as possible / feasible. Had a laptop from like 2007 that was running good, but replaced in 2019 - it had no battery capacity left, the head phone outlet was defective (hw issue) and the cpu cooling wasn't able to cool the CPU enough, so after some minutes with CPU intensitive tasks (e.g. video encoding), it just cut power. With that, it was time to replace.
11 : have none on this one, not required either. I have CD/DVD writer at the stationary computer anyway.
12 : I'm not especially found of any specific brand, as long as it isn't vendor locked - i.e. are able to boot and install *nix.
13 : Norway
14 : If it have either touchpad, WiFi or any other essential components are unable to work with Linux (because vendor haven't created a driver) that is a major turn-off.
:confused_old:
I'm not sure why you replied with that tbh.

Well, yes - the post appear to be an open discussion so why not ?

You wouldn't welcome people into your house, and then when people starting to appear, you to ask them why they entered your house not understanding why they came in the first place?

But what the heck - I'm not native English speaker so I may have missed something, please let me know what 🐧

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS