Laptop shutdown and Nvidia showing as standard VGA adapter

Sep 3, 2018
So here's what happened,
Acer aspire 5742g
Nvidia graphics(1gb)

My laptop had a lot of heating issues (which I thought was the reason for abrupt shutting down anytime between usage)
So I gave it for cleaning and the guy cleaned it well , now the fan runs smooth, but
The laptop shuts down pretty soon now like in 3-5mins after starting up.
And the graphics card (Nvidia) isn't showing up in device manager, it's rather showing up as standard vga adapter , I tried installing Nvidia driver but it ends up with message "nvidia could not find compatible graphics driver". The repair guy is saying probably ur nvidia graphic card has failed and that you will need to replac motherboard(a costly affair)
Please help me if that's the problem or not or what could be the solution.

JimmyPoke

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Your graphics card or motherboard probably failed. I mean you could replace them but considering it's a bit old, you'd be better off getting another computer. Transfer the data to the new computer.

JimmyPoke

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Well if it was a desktop, I'd probably get a replacement. I think the guy who cleaned it might've damaged a part. If it was still "working" before and didn't after the clean, the cleaner might have damaged it so it might not be as simple as a setting or something.

Sep 3, 2018
It was working but it's like it would heat up soon like in an hour or half (even if it were VLC video playing) and then it would be so high temp that it shuts down abruptly, but now it doesn't even heat but shuts after 3-5min at max,

Sep 3, 2018
Also the graphic driver of Nvidia is showing as standard vga and it isn't even installing Nvidia driver..so I guess as u said he might have damaged the graphic card isnt it???