Question Laptop shuts down before battery drains out, what are the possible causes ?

Aug 26, 2023
Laptop model: Asus X541UJ laptop

When I'm running my laptop on battery it suddenly shuts down after some minutes (from 1 to 15 minutes) even though the battery level is still at 80-90%
When it shuts down I manage to turn it back on after a few seconds (without plugging in the AC adapter) but the problem persists and the laptop runs for even a smaller period.

But sometimes it works just fine and the battery lasts for + 2 hours.
Which made me think that my battery is in a good condition.

I never experience this issue when the laptop is plugged in, it only happens when I'm using it on battery.
So I don't think it's caused by overheating (plus CPU and GPU temps never reach more than 55° celsius).

I tried replacing HDD with SSD and installed a completely fresh copy of windows 10 but it didn't help.

It's probably the battery itself. Get it replaced, if it still persists then it may be a motherboard issue. But before doing this, if you could get a technician to troubleshoot it for you it might be better. You can check your battery health using HWinfo however I'm not sure how accurate that is so take it with a grain of salt.

Aug 26, 2023
It's probably the battery itself. Get it replaced, if it still persists then it may be a motherboard issue. But before doing this, if you could get a technician to troubleshoot it for you it might be better. You can check your battery health using HWinfo however I'm not sure how accurate that is so take it with a grain of salt.
I tested the battery yesterday, it lasted for 2.5 hours
Today I encountered that problem again, it won't run for more than 5 minutes (on battery)

I tested the battery yesterday, it lasted for 2.5 hours
Today I encountered that problem again, it won't run for more than 5 minutes (on battery)
How are you testing the battery? There's a high chance the battery only fails when the laptop asks for more power from it(usually when running under load) and that's when it fails because it cannot provide the required power. If you're testing it in light tasks, then it probably wont fail as frequently.

Also a battery that has degraded will display abnormal behaviors like failing sometimes and not other times.

Aug 26, 2023
How are you testing the battery? There's a high chance the battery only fails when the laptop asks for more power from it(usually when running under load) and that's when it fails because it cannot provide the required power. If you're testing it in light tasks, then it probably wont fail as frequently.

Also a battery that has degraded will display abnormal behaviors like failing sometimes and not other times.
Yeah I just let youtube run for multiple hours.
Can you suggest appropriate testing that I can do ? Maybe a software ?
(It's not a gaming laptop btw)