[SOLVED] Laptop shuts down if I do CTRL+ Any key ,and doesn't want to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2020
Hi,

As I said in the title,yes my laptop shutsdown for some reason when I press CTRL+Any key aaand even the charging lights doesn't come up when it is plugged. It's like it is dead. Well Yes I managed to turn it on by opening it up and unplugging the battery and plugging it back in, but this isn't a long term solution. This is the second time when it happened and it is annoying. Last night when I played Dead Space 3, the game freezed and since I have SuperF4 I tried the combination CTRL+ALT+F4 to immediately close it, but just when I pressed CTRL key my laptop shutdown just immediately, like in a fraction of a second. And I'm mad, I played like 2 hours and nothing saved, and that's when I said:
tenor.gif

Please help
Specs: Laptop model/name: X411UN
CPU:i5-8250U
GPU:GeForce MX 150
Mobo:Unknown
RAM:8 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ
Storage: Micron 1100 SSD 256GB(Windows is installed here)
Toshiba HDD 500GB
Windows 10 Home 1909 Build OS 18363.628

Last edited:
Solution
That "buzzing" could indeed be the result of an electrical short.

And something to be very careful about....

Use a multimeter to test accordingly. If you do not have a multimeter then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include laptop specs and OS information.

If I understand correctly you are saying that if you press the CTRL key along with some other keyboard key your laptop shuts down.

No matter what other key is pressed?

Or just the CTRL key alone causes a crash....

Reactions: Ceclan007
Feb 1, 2020
Update your post to include laptop specs and OS information.

If I understand correctly you are saying that if you press the CTRL key along with some other keyboard key your laptop shuts down.

No matter what other key is pressed?

Or just the CTRL key alone causes a crash....
I updated the post with the specs.
First time when it happened I was playing and pressed CTRL+F4,but when I pressed F4,power out. And the second time just when I pressed CTRL ,again power out. When I'm playing or using my laptop now,Idk I'm afraid to press CTRL and I use way less frequently because of this problem. Yes, it is simple to disconnect the battery and connect it back,but it's annoying to take that back plate off and putting it back on.

Ralston18

Titan
This SuperF4?

https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/

Appears to be 4 years old - did not note any recent updates. Possibly negated by some Microsoft update(s).

Windows 10:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes or warnings that you can associate with the CTRL key presses and/or crashes.

Especially SuperF4...

If nothing is found, then uninstall SuperF4 - could be corrupted.

If the problems end then SuperF4 could at the root of things.

A reinstall may return key performance to normal.

If a reinstall causes the problem to continue then SuperF4 is the problem.

Feb 1, 2020
This SuperF4?

https://stefansundin.github.io/superf4/

Appears to be 4 years old - did not note any recent updates. Possibly negated by some Microsoft update(s).

Windows 10:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes or warnings that you can associate with the CTRL key presses and/or crashes.

Especially SuperF4...

If nothing is found, then uninstall SuperF4 - could be corrupted.

If the problems end then SuperF4 could at the root of things.

A reinstall may return key performance to normal.

If a reinstall causes the problem to continue then SuperF4 is the problem.
Thanks for the reply,and sorry for a delayed one.
Yes,that SuperF4,and I use by 3 years almost 4 ,but no problems.
It happened again,and just when I pressed CTRL key. Someone told me it can be a short under the keyboard or something.He said that there's a metal plate under the keyboard and that can touch something. He also asked me if I feel a weird buzz when I touch my laptop and yes,I do feel that buzzing feeling when my laptop it's plugged in.
I hope I'll have a "free day" or more time in a day so I can take a look since I'm used to opening and fixing laptops occasionally.

Ralston18

Titan
That "buzzing" could indeed be the result of an electrical short.

And something to be very careful about....

Use a multimeter to test accordingly. If you do not have a multimeter then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.