Question Laptop shuts down unexpectedly, cant power back on for about 10-15 minutes. then cmos 502 error.

Sep 11, 2022
HP Pavilion laptop 15-CS3153CL

Shuts down randomly and wont restart for maybe 10 to 15 minutes. When i can finally turn it on again it shows the cmos 502 error. i don't get that error when i shut it down properly and restart.

I thought it was overheating, so i removed heatsink. thermal compound looked a little dry, so i replaced it. didn't help. replaced fan. even tried a new heatsink. same problem. tried reapplying paste several times. no luck.

Downloaded core temp. highest temp was 88c when stressed. Then tried aida64 stress test. That would shut down the laptop in anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes, with highest temps ranging from 70c to 84c.

All i see in logs when it shuts down is "terminated unexpectedly". (only other errors prior to that are about audio)

Updated BIOS from f14 to f16. updated audio drivers. nope.

I also ran some windows diagnostics, and i noticed it seemed to get hung up at 1% checking memory. replaced memory with no luck. I didn't think it would help, but needed a memory upgrade. Went from 12 to 32gb.

I have removed the battery and held the power button for at least 30 seconds and let it sit overnight. No luck.

I don't know what else to try. Any help?

oh, its also upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. HP website has no bios or driver options for windows 11, went with Windows 10 options. Considering rolling back to Windows 10 because im out of ideas.

(i am using it now. it only shuts down with heavy usage.)

Thanks

Sep 11, 2022
ran the same stress test with back off and held the laptop by the air conditioner. didn't shut down. ran an intel processor diagnostic tool that caused it to crash earlier. with air conditioner blowing on heatsink it didnt crash and passed.

so its overheating and shutting down i guess... not sure what else I can do.