Question Laptop shuts down when on battery power

wsk14200

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
Hi, so my laptop works completely fine when plugged in to a charger but when it's on battery power it shuts down.

If the laptop is turned on and I unplug it, then it shuts down (sometimes it's after 5 seconds and sometimes it's after a few minutes, but it never shuts down instantly after unplugging the cable).

Same thing happens if I try to boot the laptop on battery power, it gets to the MSI manufacturer logo, and then shuts down and this happens in an infinite loop. I am able to however access BIOS and if I do that then the laptop does not shut down in BIOS but if I exit out of it and try to boot it will still shut down.

I have already tried replacing the battery with a new one but I still get the same issue. I have also unplugged the charger, removed the battery and held down the power button for 30 seconds.

EDIT: I changed the "Maximum Processor State" when on battery from 100% to 25%. The laptop no longer seems to shut down when it is turned on. However, it still shuts down during boot.

Last edited: