Question Laptop shuts off during gameplay

Jun 20, 2019
First, Laptop specs:

Origin EON17-X

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i9 9900K 8-Core 3.6GHz (no overclock)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
16GB Kingston HyperX Impact 3200MHz (2x8GB)

Primary SSD Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2

The Issue: The laptop will shut off while playing a game.

More specifically Fortnite. I have done extensive troubleshooting with Origin PC. We've load and heat tested the CPU and the GPU. None of the tests caused the Laptop to shut off. The CPU reached temps of 88°C and kept running. The highest temp I recorded on the GPU was 64°C. The most brutal test was FurMax with the CPU test on. It ran for 6 hours with out overheating or shutting off.

Fortnite was causing a shut down after less than 20 minutes of play. I played World of Warships, World of Tanks, and BattleTech. All of these games also caused a shut down but less than once or twice. Fortnite was shutting down the PC every time I played for more than 10 minutes. Sometimes Fortntie would shut down the laptop before it was done loading the game. Starting from a cold boot, I don't see how the PC could be overheating while loading Fortnite.

I limited the FPS on fortnite to 120. This seemed to fix the issue. After a long three hour session I logged off and ate dinner. When I restarted Fortnite, the laptop shut off again. Other than that one time, I was able to play with out issue.

Recently Fortnite had an update. After the update I loaded into fortnite and the laptop shut off. I can't get into the game or even finish loading without the laptop shutting off the laptop.

This is extremely frustrating because my expensive gaming laptop can't play games. And there is nothing wrong with the hardware as far as Origin PC is concerned. I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Jun 20, 2019
Have you tried re-installing the game? Also, does it just cut power when it shuts off, or do you get some sort of blue screen error?

Jun 20, 2019
I have reinstalled the game twice. The second time I cleaned off every file related to the game.

When it shuts off it goes off. Instant power off. There is no screen beforehand or error. There is no loss of performance either. Just pip off.

Jun 20, 2019
Have you tried sfc /scannow? I saw you ran tests on your GPU and CPU with no issues, have you run Memtest for your RAM?

Jun 20, 2019
Gotcha, no worries that's good. Just open Powershell as admin, (should be on your menu when you right click Start), type in

sfc /scannow

This'll check for further issues.

Jun 20, 2019
Ran scannow.

It found corrupt files but said it was able to repair them. I'm not sure what those files are.

To be clear, scannow reported that it repaired the files.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
I see.. Is the system still under warranty? I saw you did some testing with Origin already, did they provide any insight or suggestions?

Jun 20, 2019
It is.

After a few weeks of testing with Origin we couldn't replicate the problem with any test on the CPU or GPU. The memory tested fine. They explained that even if I sent the system into them all they would have done were these same tests. Only if the hardware failed would they open the case and replace components. As far as Origin is concerned the system is fine. Anything left is a software problem and not within the scope of their support.

Jun 20, 2019
It is.

After a few weeks of testing with Origin we couldn't replicate the problem with any test on the CPU or GPU. The memory tested fine. They explained that even if I sent the system into them all they would have done were these same tests. Only if the hardware failed would they open the case and replace components. As far as Origin is concerned the system is fine. Anything left is a software problem and not within the scope of their support.
I'm that case, if you can't narrow it down to a driver or something, (since it's just shutting off, which is strange), I'd back up files and reinstall windows. Or at least revert back to when this wasn't happening maybe. Since the problem is software only.

Jun 20, 2019
I'm that case, if you can't narrow it down to a driver or something, (since it's just shutting off, which is strange), I'd back up files and reinstall windows. Or at least revert back to when this wasn't happening maybe. Since the problem is software only.
Yesterday there was an update to fortnite. So far I've had three different game sessions and no issues. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware or OS at all.

I do think there is some stability issues with fortnite. Along with a rather new video card, I pretty confident the issue is in the game.

Thanks for your help, Mooshy.

Jun 20, 2019
Yesterday there was an update to fortnite. So far I've had three different game sessions and no issues. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware or OS at all.

I do think there is some stability issues with fortnite. Along with a rather new video card, I pretty confident the issue is in the game.

Thanks for your help, Mooshy.
Ahh okay. That makes a lot more sense. No problem! Post again if it starts acting up.

Jun 20, 2019
The problem started again after another update to fortnite.

However I ran across a solution.

I happened to try loading the game when my battery was below 100%. I've almost always got the machine plugged in.

Fortnite ran just fine. Which at first I didn't understand why. The next time I turned it on the laptop was at 100% and the laptop shut off. I had an epiphany and unplugged the machine to let the battery run a bit. Game ran fine.

Ran the test 3 more times. Once with batty at 100% and once with the battery below 99%. Same results on each test.

I changed my CPU power settings to: Max: 99% Min: 5%

No issues at all since the change.

ASK THE COMMUNITY