[SOLVED] Laptop shuts off when I choose "High perfomance" mode -- battery issue ?

Apr 21, 2021
Good day, forum.
So the battery of my MSI GF63 8RC successfully died ("swollen"). After that happened I ordered the new one on Aliexpress just because I had no other choice.
The battery was BTY-M6K, I ordered the same one from the Kingsener (I chose them because of reviews). Characteristics are the same too.

After successful installation, I turned on the laptop and It works perfectly fine, charges ok and doesn't discharge quickly or not completely.
Without plug, it works fine on a "balanced" or "eco" battery mode, but if I try to change the mode to the "high-performance", after 5-10 seconds laptop just shuts off instantly without any message or warning. And doesn't even matter what is happening on it: games, programs, or just AFK. Like if you unplug your PC. After that, I can't power it on unless I connect the power plug again. And when I finally power it on - I do see that the BIOS resets to the factory state, down to all settings and even time. The BIOS battery is ok, I tested it.

So after that misunderstanding, I googled some advice and tried the MSI Battery Calibrator and even charged/discharged the battery twice, but of course, it didn't help.
My next step was chatting with the seller... In the end, I've got this: "Hello friend, Our technician said the battery is not designed to work for high-performance mode. For higher performance, the cells are required to use more powerful ones, which is very expensive. " But I guess that they still don't understand me or my problem. That's it, any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Solution
By default, the windows power profile when running on battery will assign the graphics processing to the integrated graphics and will lower the max cpu performance to conserve battery run time.
When plugged in, the discrete gtx1050 chip will be used and full processing power will be available.
This combo will generate lots of heat that small laptop coolers have difficulty with.

But, since you get shut down only when working from the battery, I would conclude that your battery is defective or unsuitable as a replacement.

Good day. I guess you were right about the power usage settings. I conducted a couple of tests, 1.5-2 hours long of continuous work + games on new settings and the laptop did not turn off and did not crash...
Batteries also include some circuitry.
While some "compatible" replacements do work, and are considerably cheaper, it is best to buy the exact same part number and brand as was in the original pc.

As to why your laptop turns off when plugged in I don't know.
Plugged in, you will draw much more power for the cpu and graphics chip.
Sometimes that causes enough heat to cause thermal throttling.
Run HWmonitor and monitor the max temperature when plugged in.
If you see 100c, that is the throttle point.
If heat is the issue, make certain that the cooling airways are clear.
I suspect that you are ok there, and the cause of your problem is a not fully compatible bettery.
Return it if you can and spend what you need to for a true OEM replacement.

Apr 21, 2021
Batteries also include some circuitry.
While some "compatible" replacements do work, and are considerably cheaper, it is best to buy the exact same part number and brand as was in the original pc.

As to why your laptop turns off when plugged in I don't know.
Plugged in, you will draw much more power for the cpu and graphics chip.
Sometimes that causes enough heat to cause thermal throttling.
Run HWmonitor and monitor the max temperature when plugged in.
If you see 100c, that is the throttle point.
If heat is the issue, make certain that the cooling airways are clear.
I suspect that you are ok there, and the cause of your problem is a not fully compatible bettery.
Return it if you can and spend what you need to for a true OEM replacement.

Thank you for an answer. However, it shuts off only when working from the battery. The temperature is good, I have an eye on it :) HWmonitor says [https://prnt.sc/11t5fbd] that charging goes ok, without power loss. The capability is a very strange thing for me, I am scared that the original battery won't solve the problem...

Sorry, I misread.
If the pc fails only when under battery power, I could only conclude that the battery is not a fully compatible unit which seems to be verified by the seller.

Yes, OEM legit battery replacements are expensive.
I would try to return the battery if possible.
Perhaps your seller can deliver a fully compatible unit for a modest upcharge.

And, on your link, you need to expand the processor section to expose the cpu temperatures.

Apr 21, 2021
Sorry, I misread.
If the pc fails only when under battery power, I could only conclude that the battery is not a fully compatible unit which seems to be verified by the seller.

Yes, OEM legit battery replacements are expensive.
I would try to return the battery if possible.
Perhaps your seller can deliver a fully compatible unit for a modest upcharge.

And, on your link, you need to expand the processor section to expose the CPU temperatures.
Oh, probably you're right, I will google a little bit more. By the way, there is a proper screenshot, misclicked :) [https://prnt.sc/11tazni]

That revised screen shot tells me that you, in fact have likely throttled.
the max of 100c so indicates.
That is the point where the processor detects a dangerous temperature and will throttle or shut down to protect itself from damage.

First check that your cooling airways are clear and your cpu fan is running.
It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Apr 21, 2021
That revised screen shot tells me that you, in fact have likely throttled.
the max of 100c so indicates.
That is the point where the processor detects a dangerous temperature and will throttle or shut down to protect itself from damage.

First check that your cooling airways are clear and your cpu fan is running.
It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.
Never throttled, CPU config never has been changed, the system is fresh and I do cleaning every 3-4 weeks. I don't know where these numbers are from, but I can play games without any troubles and freezes on "eco" or "balanced" battery mode. Sometimes, It can't be 90 degrees, because the cooling system is garbage, to be honest. But NEVER my laptop was more or equal to 100 degrees and shuts off instantly from any source of power.

Edit: by the way, now HW shows max as 85 degrees

By default, the windows power profile when running on battery will assign the graphics processing to the integrated graphics and will lower the max cpu performance to conserve battery run time.
When plugged in, the discrete gtx1050 chip will be used and full processing power will be available.
This combo will generate lots of heat that small laptop coolers have difficulty with.

But, since you get shut down only when working from battery, I would conclude that your battery is defective or unsuitable as a replacement.

Reactions: EnchantedMars
Apr 21, 2021

But, since you get shut down only when working from the battery, I would conclude that your battery is defective or unsuitable as a replacement.

Good day. I guess you were right about the power usage settings. I conducted a couple of tests, 1.5-2 hours long of continuous work + games on new settings and the laptop did not turn off and did not crash! Therefore, for those who face the same problem - here is my step-by-step guide, it will probably help you:

1. Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Settings -> Next, you will see a list (probably 1 item or several) of the laptop operating modes: High Performance, Balanced, Power Saving

2. I performed the following operation for 2 modes: High performance and Balanced: Click "Change plan settings" -> Change advanced power settings

3. Find "Processor power management" -> "Minimal processor state: 5% (for both)", "Maximal processor state: 90% (for both)", "System cooling policy: active (for both)".

So, that's it.

Solution