Question Laptop Shutting Down While Gaming

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hey there, folks. A few weeks ago I posted regarding my MSI GT70 2PC shutting down about 5 minutes after starting demanding games such as Elite Dangerous, GTA V, or Cities Skylines. I had assumed the issue lied in the broken CPU heatsink mount that is usually affixed to the motherboard, or maybe even faulty sensors, but after buying and installing a replacement motherboard the problem is still present. The RAM is fine, as well, as I've ran several different testing software (MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool). So, if its not motherboard-related, I'm left with no other theories aside from a faulty GPU or CPU. Temps are showing a steady 70-72C while gaming, with the CPU climbing to 90C and stabilizing there when compiling source code in Linux. Do you folks know of any way for me to narrow the issue down to either the CPU or GPU? I bought more thermal pads to replace a few of the worn out pads that had been on the laptop since I bought it back in 2015, but would worn thermal pads or poor thermal pad placement be enough to overheat the CPU/GPU components and cause a shut down? Any advice would be appreciated, as I am at a total loss as to what the true issue could be.

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
90c is quite hot and could cause the issue, but it shouldn't cause the issue in theory.
Yeah, the computer never shut down while it was that hot, which makes me believe that the problem doesn't lie with the CPU, at least not in the obvious sense. I'm not certain if the temp sensors only monitor the temp of the chip itself or it also takes into account the entire CPU/GPU card.

The temperature sensors could be reading with an offset or something odd. Is the chip throttling and down clocking itself? Try running HWMonitor (Windows) to see the temps and clocks when running a program such as prime 95, as it seems to be the most accurate temp recording. It could be a faulty power brick or overheating gpu, so take note of gpu temps when gaming or benching with something like unigine heaven.

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
The temperature sensors could be reading with an offset or something odd. Is the chip throttling and down clocking itself? Try running HWMonitor (Windows) to see the temps and clocks when running a program such as prime 95, as it seems to be the most accurate temp recording. It could be a faulty power brick or overheating gpu, so take note of gpu temps when gaming or benching with something like unigine heaven.

Alrighty, next time I'm in Windows, I'll check that out. I'm certain it isn't the power brick, as I bought a new one a few weeks after several google results left me with the conclusion the power supply could be the issue, but even with the new power brick the issue persisted. I plan on applying the new thermal pads to the CPU and GPU tomorrow, as well as replacing the thermal paste that's on them now.

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
I replaced all of the thermal pads and applied brand new thermal paste and all seems to be fairing well. I hesitate to be truly optimistic, however, as a few weeks ago my laptop ran well for a full day before the issue reared its ugly head again.