Question Laptop shutting off unexpectedly within a certain time range.

Jun 30, 2021
Hello,

Every night from around 9:30 pm to 11 pm for at least a week now, my laptop would shut off unexpectedly while playing Sea of Thieves with my friends. I do not believe Sea of Thieves is the direct issue as this has been happening at random weeks for at least 3 months now. Why I think Sea of Thieves is not the direct issue, but imply that it may be an indirect issue, is because the game is very taxing on my computer and heats it up. I do believe this is a thermal problem at the moment, though a couple of months ago when it started to happen, I can't say the same. I have applied many fixes and when it seems to go away for a while it comes right back. There is no shutdown sequence in my Task Scheduler, my BIOS is up to date, all of my drivers are up to date at the time of writing, and I have physically opened my laptop and cleaned my fans (one of them may have been the heat sink, so even better). Even after cleaning the fans, my CPU still reaches around 92 degrees Celsius, according to my hardware monitor, when playing the game. When I search my Event Viewer, I find when the computer has been shutting down, and it tells me it is an unexpected shutdown with an Event ID of 6008. I have already searched the Event ID of 6008, and research tells me either to update your BIOS or a thermal issue, which is definitely not the former. My friend recommended me to this site and make a post on this forum before I try anything more. I have recently started Overclocking my GPU with MSI Afterburner at a Core Clock of +200 and a Memory Clock of +700. The laptop has been shutting down way before I started doing this and has still been happening the day before I started overclocking, my GPU is not having any issues, I believe it to be the CPU.

I own a Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
Model number: PH315-52
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Graphics Card: Overclockable Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti, Version 471.11
Motherboard: Covini_CFS

Let me know if there is anything I missed, and I need to add more.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just for the sake of relevance, can you sue CPU-Z to state what BISO version you're on? Just to be sure you don't have any BIOS versions pending. On another note, what OS version are you on? You should ideally be on version2 1H1 for Windows 10. As for your GPU drivers, you're behind on the version, where the latest version is 471.11.

You might want to also dive into ThrottleStop in case you haven't tried undervolting to alleviate the temps you're seeing. As for temps, you can also try and use a higher quality thermal paste, like the ones made by Noctua or Arctic.

Reactions: UltimateGamr5000
Jun 30, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just for the sake of relevance, can you sue CPU-Z to state what BISO version you're on? Just to be sure you don't have any BIOS versions pending. On another note, what OS version are you on? You should ideally be on version2 1H1 for Windows 10. As for your GPU drivers, you're behind on the version, where the latest version is 471.11.

You might want to also dive into ThrottleStop in case you haven't tried undervolting to alleviate the temps you're seeing. As for temps, you can also try and use a higher quality thermal paste, like the ones made by Noctua or Arctic.

Thanks for the welcome, yes, I am on OS version 21H1, and my GPU driver was on 471.11 the other day, I am not sure what happened.

I assume you meant 'use* CPU-Z' and 'what BIOS* version'? CPU-Z says my BIOS version is V1.12, and when I downloaded the latest BIOS version from the Acer website (my laptop manufacturer) and tried to apply it to my BIOS, Insyde Corp setup told me I was on the latest version. I forgot to also be specific in what I meant by turning off at specific times, the laptop would shut down 4-8 minutes after the time it shut down the previous day, which my event viewer has been keeping track of. For example, on 6/26/21, my laptop turned off at 10 pm exactly, and on 6/27/21 it turned off at 10:06 pm, while on 6/28/21 it turned off at 10:14 pm. I found this pattern, thought it was strange, and thought I should at least mention it. There are no shutdown sequences on my computer to turn off at this time, there are none, in fact, all planned shutdowns are administrated by myself. It doesn't make sense to me why it turns off at this specific time, as if it was turning off from heat, it would turn off whenever it got too hot, which my laptop does do when it gets to dangerously high temperatures. The computer gets hot enough to turn off way before the times I mentioned above, and it doesn't make sense to me why it chooses to wait to turn off until that time. All I know is that the laptop can reach around 92 degrees Celsius when playing the game. I will look into Throttlestop and I will look at those brands of thermal paste you mentioned.

Jun 30, 2021
Thanks for the welcome, yes, I am on OS version 21H1, and my GPU driver was on 471.11 the other day, I am not sure what happened.

I assume you meant 'use* CPU-Z' and 'what BIOS* version'? CPU-Z says my BIOS version is V1.12, and when I downloaded the latest BIOS version from the Acer website (my laptop manufacturer) and tried to apply it to my BIOS, Insyde Corp setup told me I was on the latest version. I forgot to also be specific in what I meant by turning off at specific times, the laptop would shut down 4-8 minutes after the time it shut down the previous day, which my event viewer has been keeping track of. For example, on 6/26/21, my laptop turned off at 10 pm exactly, and on 6/27/21 it turned off at 10:06 pm, while on 6/28/21 it turned off at 10:14 pm. I found this pattern, thought it was strange, and thought I should at least mention it. There are no shutdown sequences on my computer to turn off at this time, there are none, in fact, all planned shutdowns are administrated by myself. It doesn't make sense to me why it turns off at this specific time, as if it was turning off from heat, it would turn off whenever it got too hot, which my laptop does do when it gets to dangerously high temperatures. The computer gets hot enough to turn off way before the times I mentioned above, and it doesn't make sense to me why it chooses to wait to turn off until that time. All I know is that the laptop can reach around 92 degrees Celsius when playing the game. I will look into Throttlestop and I will look at those brands of thermal paste you mentioned.

My laptop just turned off right now at 10:29 pm doing other things and it was not hot at all, it was at a standby temperature of around 50 degrees Celsius. Event Viewer still says it is an Event ID of 6008 with a description of "The previous system shutdown at 10:28:46 PM on 7/1/2021 was unexpected." I take back what I said on this being a thermal issue, it did not seem to add up anyway... Like I said this has been happening at random intervals for at least 3 months now, and most of the time I remember it turning off, it was not hot. Every time it has turned off since 6/21 until now I was playing Sea of Thieves with my friends, which made the laptop heat up. I thought the high temperatures and it turning off were connected this time around, but it just was a coincidence, as it always has been. I will still look into making my laptop play cooler, but that is the least of my worries right now. Any further ideas as to why it is shutting off 4 - 8 minutes after the time it has shut down the previous day? Again, there are no shutdown sequences in my Task Scheduler or anything of the sort. I play with my laptop plugged in if that helps.

Just to be sure, is there any way to filter tasks in the Task Scheduler like you can filter events in the Event Viewer?

Last edited: