[SOLVED] Laptop slow on start up, freezes using certain programs, and occasionally shuts down in the middle of use and gets stuck in a bios loop.

Edm326

Honorable
May 30, 2014
I booted up my laptop a couple of weeks ago and I got stuck in a bios loop. It wouldn't recognize my hard drive. I did a hard restart by removing the battery, holding down the power for about 30 seconds, then restarting and it started working again. I've had to do that a few times since. It has recently gotten very slow on boot up and now occasionally shuts down in the middle of me using it and gets stuck in the bios again. It also freezes up when using certain programs like steam. Again, the only solution that seems to work was a hard restart. This sounds to me like a hard drive issue, but I wanted to run it by others more knowledgeable than me to see if it might be something else. Any diagnostic tips? Are the hard restarts damaging anything? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yeah, it seems to be a hard drive issue.

You can quickly check your HDD health in Command Prompt in elevated mode (Admin), there you type wmic when it´s ready, enter: diskdrive get status and see if the result is OK or not.

Or try running chkdsk /r in Command Prompt in elevated mode (Admin). After a while, it will ask you to check after a restart - type y and restart the laptop. It will take a while don´t worry, also sometimes it seems like it´s stuck but as long as the LED diode of disc activity is flickering it should be OK.
May 1, 2020
Yeah, it seems to be a hard drive issue.

You can quickly check your HDD health in Command Prompt in elevated mode (Admin), there you type wmic when it´s ready, enter: diskdrive get status and see if the result is OK or not.

Or try running chkdsk /r in Command Prompt in elevated mode (Admin). After a while, it will ask you to check after a restart - type y and restart the laptop. It will take a while don´t worry, also sometimes it seems like it´s stuck but as long as the LED diode of disc activity is flickering it should be OK.

Solution