Question Laptop smoked after shut down.

Chacy_

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hi

I have a MSI GT72 (2015) Dominator laptop I used it normally until last month while i shut it down it smoking out from the back of the charger port and never started up again after that, so... I want to know

Can these reasons cause my laptop to smoked out

1. I have a defective battery and took it out for while now, also the charger is defective and not light up

2.motherboard damage (so I will sell it out.) From overheat dust short circuit etc.

But some forums said it related to malfunctions of the Charger (PSU) that caused the smoke.

So I want to know your answer to be clear.

Ralston18

Titan
Any hardware upgrades or changes to the laptop prior to the smoking?

Most likely there was some sort of short circuit and too much electrical current went where it should not go. Overheated and burned something. Smoke.

Difficult to know exactly what went wrong and why. PSU may be the reason.... Power adapter could be the reason...

The laptop needs to be opened up by a knowledgeable person and carefully inspected.

Likely to be some visible signs of damage: brown or black scorch marks, melted components, bare wires showing: physical damage of some sort.

Then each individual component should be tested if at all possible to determine what does and does not work. Especially removeable components such as memory, the hard drive, etc.

You may or may not be able to salvage and/or sell anything....

Or it may turn out that there is some possibility of repair. Again you need someone knowledgeable to take an inside look.

Reactions: Chacy_

Chacy_

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Any hardware upgrades or changes to the laptop prior to the smoking?

Most likely there was some sort of short circuit and too much electrical current went where it should not go. Overheated and burned something. Smoke.

Difficult to know exactly what went wrong and why. PSU may be the reason.... Power adapter could be the reason...

The laptop needs to be opened up by a knowledgeable person and carefully inspected.

Likely to be some visible signs of damage: brown or black scorch marks, melted components, bare wires showing: physical damage of some sort.

Then each individual component should be tested if at all possible to determine what does and does not work. Especially removeable components such as memory, the hard drive, etc.

You may or may not be able to salvage and/or sell anything....

Or it may turn out that there is some possibility of repair. Again you need someone knowledgeable to take an inside look.

Thank you for answering my question.

Indeed I opened inside and check what could go wrong but I saw nothing no signs of it. I don't sure it was dust in the port that burned or something else but Power adapter died after the smoked also

Oh yeah

Can this related to the problem. If there's no burning on the board and before Smoke happen the battery inside the laptop had already been disconnected( It dead) and the only source of main power consumption is by the power adapter itself and it over charged the voltage to laptop cause something to burn.... And after that the charger itself died also if it just a (DUST) that burned on the board? Or ( I couldn't find any burned on the board) I don't sure

So could it be adapter itself that I have to change?

I had read some of the post and they said
"IF someone coming out of the back of case that could related to Power adapter dead and of you not immediately take it off it will damage other components in the board"

Last edited: