[SOLVED] Laptop somehow removed windows/formatted SSD

KeyRoll

Prominent
May 1, 2019
Hi, I think my Samsung 860 Evo 1TB has somehow been wiped by a laptop I put it in (to be specific, a HP 255 G3)

To put some context behind this, I took it out of my desktop, to try it and install in that laptop, to see if another SSD for it would be worth buying; it worked fine (albeit the CPU being bottlenecked), opened and closed chrome a couple of times and it suddenly bluescreened.

I couldn't see any error code; I then proceeded to reboot it, then to come across 'no bootable drive found'.

Currently, I am reinstalling windows and scanning/repairing the drive (of which the bootable media said 930/930GB was free). I can imagine it's gonna take quite a while, as the drive was pretty much full.

Is someone able to help me understand what happened to my SSD please? Both me and my IT systems technician uncle are completely dumbfounded by it.

Thanks for any replies in advance

Solution
To put some context behind this, I took it out of my desktop, to try it and install in that laptop, to see if another SSD for it would be worth buying; it worked fine (albeit the CPU being bottlenecked), opened and closed chrome a couple of times and it suddenly bluescreened.
You took it out of the desktop, put it in a laptop, and attempted to boot from it?

Do not do that. Ever.
A Windows install is not modular. You can't just moove it between systems. Especially desktop to laptop.

And to your original thought - "to see if another SSD for it would be worth buying "...more SSD space is rarely a bad idea.

USAFRet

Titan
You took it out of the desktop, put it in a laptop, and attempted to boot from it?

Do not do that. Ever.
A Windows install is not modular. You can't just moove it between systems. Especially desktop to laptop.

And to your original thought - "to see if another SSD for it would be worth buying "...more SSD space is rarely a bad idea.

Solution

KeyRoll

Prominent
May 1, 2019

Do not do that. Ever.

Well that definitely sucks. To rephrase what I said in my original text - basically the laptops harddrive was incredibly slow, and just wanted to test out if anything else was slowing it down by using an ssd. Lesson learned :/