Question Laptop sometimes does not boot

Aug 17, 2019
My laptop is an ASUS X555LD. Recently it has been having a booting issue, where it displays the "Reboot and select proper boot device" error message. When restarting the device and checking the BIOS, the hard drive is not shown in the boot drive list, and sometimes the DVD drive is also not shown and sometimes it is.
However, after powering it down and back on several times it eventually boots up. When it does boot up, it works flawlessly. Whether the laptop boots into Windows or not just seems random, because sometimes it straight away boots with no issue.
I also noticed that if I just detached the hard drive and installed it back, the problem goes away for a short time but eventually does come back. I've experienced this twice.
I've run several hard drive health tests and they all have come back fine. I formatted my entire hard drive. Also, updated windows, all the drivers, and the BIOS.
What do you think is the problem? How can I fix it?
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, hopefully you'll have some answers.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Have you run disc diagnostics on your drive? The symptoms you describe scream "early stages of drive failure" to me (though there are a couple of other less likely options, too).

If you don't have a diagnostic tool specific to drives from whoever made the one in your machine, SeaTools from Seagate gives very useful information for all brands. Look at the SMART attributes, first, to see if anything obvious is showing. If not then run the generic short test and see what comes back.

Aug 17, 2019
Have you run disc diagnostics on your drive? The symptoms you describe scream "early stages of drive failure" to me (though there are a couple of other less likely options, too).

If you don't have a diagnostic tool specific to drives from whoever made the one in your machine, SeaTools from Seagate gives very useful information for all brands. Look at the SMART attributes, first, to see if anything obvious is showing. If not then run the generic short test and see what comes back.

My hard drive is a Seagate Samsung 1TB hard drive, model number: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB

I have run diagnostics on my drive and they all came fine. However, since you recommended it, I've run them again just in case. The results are as follows:
1. Seatools
SMART Check - Pass
Short Generic Test - Pass
Long Generic Test - Pass
Short Drive Self Test - Pass

2. Disk Check Up
SMART information - All OK
Short Disk Self Test - No errors

3. HDDScan
Short Self Test - No errors
SMART Health Information shows an error in "UltraDMA CRC Errors" and "SATA Downshift Error Count", but everything else is fine.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
My guess, then, is that some sort of corruption has developed in the boot sector itself.

There are utilities that attempt to fix this, and I leave it up to others to recommend which one(s) because I haven't used them myself. I'm far more inclined to do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10, which includes wiping the system drive and reformatting it as GPT again, when this sort of thing occurs.

These two sites tend to be reliable:

Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows

How to Repair Windows Bootloader Problems

and, although I have not used this personally, I have had good luck with EaseUS tools in general:

FREE MBR Repair Tool: Fix MBR on External Hard Disk

TRENDING THREADS