Question Laptop sometimes turning off when unplugged

Jun 5, 2021
This has been happening for the past few weeks. It doesn't immediately turn off when I unplug it, only after I pick it up or move it. It also doesn't happen every time, just once every 2 or 3 days. The battery doesn't seem to be the issue, since the laptop works fine unplugged for an extended period as long as I don't move it.

I opened the case to check the connection between the battery and the motherboard, which doesn't appear to be loose. Didn't see anything else amiss that could be causing the problem. I used compressed air to try to clean out anything loose.

Another thing I noticed is that it would often turn off after gripping the back of the laptop where the battery is. I started grabbing it from the front, which causes it to happen a bit less often. Also, I can hear a kind of whirring noise coming from near the battery when I rotate the laptop back and forth, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E15. I took a few pictures of the connection between the battery and the motherboard, but I don't see anything obviously damaged.

View: https://imgur.com/a/sVfP0Ld

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to inspect the power input end of the laptop and it's surrounding circuitry. I'm suspecting either a build up of static or maybe a grounding issue. You could, in it's current state, while the battery is disconnected with no other power source, remove the stick(s) of ram, press and hold the power button on laptop for 30 seconds. Replace the stick(s) of ram and then reconnect with the battery and then power up, shutdown and then reconnect power adapter and then power up, see if the issue persists.

Does the laptop have any BIOS updates pending?

Jun 5, 2021
I believe the BIOS is updated.

I don't know if this could be related, but it might be worth mentioning. In the months leading up to this problem, the laptop would slow down quite a bit if I unplugged the power adapter from the outlet before removing it from the power jack. The performance would go back to normal once I plugged the adapter back into an outlet. This never happened when I removed it from the jack first.

I'll try doing what you suggested tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS