Question Laptop speed is very slow, often freezes, takes forever to load anything ?

Aug 24, 2023
Laptop model - HP 15-bs0xx
- Intel Core i5-7200U CPU 2.50GHz 2.70 GHz
- Installed RAM 8.00 GB
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit

The laptop was bought brand new 3 years ago. I only have the basic office software installed, never played games on it. Occasionally have been downloading videos but have been doing the defragmentation of disc regularly, cleaning registry, scanning for viruses and malware etc. Hard drive has been scanned with CrystalDiskInfo and there are no issues.
When I check in the task manager, the Disk is constantly being pressured at 100% for unknown reasons.

Just opening the browser or anything else simple takes forever to load.

Lutfij

Titan
When I check in the task manager, the Disk is constantly being pressured at 100% for unknown reasons.
Does your laptop have an SSD on it? If you have an HDD, then that's partially the issue. Another point could a memoryleak that might be compounding with the HDD.
If it is indeed a memoryleak you're advised to reinstall the OS, after fabricating the bootable USB installer for the OS, to rule out a corrupt installer.

Reactions: Miki248
Aug 24, 2023
Thank you for the reply.
No SSD, only regular HDD.
How can I confirm if it is memory leak?
Sorry, I am a noob. How can I reinstall the OS after fabricating the bootable USB installer for the OS, to rule out a corrupt installer if really necessary?

Aug 24, 2023
I've noticed that firefox is gulping large amount of ram when activated and drastically slows down the computer.
Should I install additional ram and how?
If not, reinstalling windows will make me lose all the saved data etc.?

What does Task Manager say that is hogging the Hard Drive to 100%

There are a few reasons that do it.

1 Virus

2 Windows Updates while there doing there thing.

3 Large downloads till there done.

4 When window defender is doing a large scan.

5 Something is still latched hogging Hard drive. Task Manager should point it out.

6 And on your memory question yes get more memory. 16 Gb's is the lowest that just seems like a happy medium.

Reactions: Miki248
Aug 24, 2023
What does Task Manager say that is hogging the Hard Drive to 100%

There are a few reasons that do it.

1 Virus

2 Windows Updates while there doing there thing.

3 Large downloads till there done.

4 When window defender is doing a large scan.

5 Something is still latched hogging Hard drive. Task Manager should point it out.

6 And on your memory question yes get more memory. 16 Gb's is the lowest that just seems like a happy medium.

Thank you for the reply. The laptop is clean of viruses, there are no active downloads and everything is updated, so I presume that only option is to upgrade RAM for it but I don't know what to use...

Aug 24, 2023
In windows explorer, right click on the C partition and select properties. I thing you also can see this (depending on windows version) if you stay at C and then move one step up so that you see all available partitions and "places".

I completely disassembled the laptop in order to check the inside contents for the RAM memory but as far as I remember there was around 200 gigs of free space in the partition so I don't think that's an issue.