Question Laptop SSD not working

Taavish Thaman

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Recently my windows which was on my SSD got corrupted somehow but I managed to install one on my laptop's HDD. I was able to install it successfully but my SSD is still not working. If I try to open it from file manager(this PC) it shows the drive name but doesn't show the allotted space. SSD is detected in the disk management software and I can assign a letter and allocate space to it but it doesn't get formatted. Whenever I try to format it, it says windows couldn't format the drive. I have tried both quick and full format. I also tried running chkdsk from cmd but it stops as soon as it starts, so it doesn't work either. I tried uninstalling the drive from the device manager and then restarted my PC but that didn't help. There are no new drivers to be installed. If I check properties from the device manager it says this device is working properly. Looks like the only option I have left is to take my laptop to the service center but if there is anything else I can do before that please let me know.
My laptop is MSI GE 73 Raider with 1 TB HDD and 512 GB SSD. Specs are i7 8750h, GTX 1070, 16 GB Ram. If there is any additional information you require, please let me know.
Thank you

Taavish Thaman

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
What is the make and model of your SSD in your laptop? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop? You might want to remove the HDD and see if the installer for your OS recognizes the SSD.
Hi, how do i determine the make and model of my SSD. The laptop came with the SSD, I didn't install it myself if that's what you mean. It just says Intel Raid 0 Volume on it. How do I check whether BIOS needs to be updated?
By removing the HDD do you mean physically removing it or disabling it from the device manager?