[SOLVED] Laptop SSD Temperature soaring above 60 Degree Celcius

Jun 23, 2021
So I recently bought an ADATA SSD 120GB SU650 for my old Laptop Dell Inspiron 15 3567
It works smooth now but crystal disk shows temperature of SSD above 60 degree when I use Firefox.
Also my windows is debloated and I've removed unnecessary applications and those services and msconfig settings you know.
I also tried other applications like HD Sentinel it gives the same reading of temperature.
I figured out that it's not the SSD that is getting hot it's the SSD connector.
I don't have an extra SSD connector that I can try and the it's as expensive as an SSD in the market.
I've never replaced connector, it's original and I've no heating problem when I remove SSD and use HDD .
and then I used SSD in my desktop PC and the temperature is always in range 43-46 degree.
So SSD is perfectly fine.

What could be the reason my Laptop is getting heated so much ? Can connectors cause heating issues ?

P.S SSD is nowhere near any heating component and there's ventilation but not specifically for SSD.

Last edited:
Solution
2.5" SSDs are almost an empty can that provides mechanical protection to the small PCB inside and mechanical attachment for whatever it gets put inside of. Inside a laptop, the SSD housing has no direct airflow to cool itself so the PCB is even further insulated, so the SSD gets hotter than it would in a PC. A HDD may run cooler despite using slightly more power in the same space simply because all of its heat-generating components are thermally coupled to the HDD's far more substantial machined aluminum housing.

SSDs don't use much power, so the connector itself shouldn't be contributing any meaningful amount of heat. It only gets warm because the motherboard and SSD themselves are warm with the connector being the SSD's path of...

InvalidError

Titan
2.5" SSDs are almost an empty can that provides mechanical protection to the small PCB inside and mechanical attachment for whatever it gets put inside of. Inside a laptop, the SSD housing has no direct airflow to cool itself so the PCB is even further insulated, so the SSD gets hotter than it would in a PC. A HDD may run cooler despite using slightly more power in the same space simply because all of its heat-generating components are thermally coupled to the HDD's far more substantial machined aluminum housing.

SSDs don't use much power, so the connector itself shouldn't be contributing any meaningful amount of heat. It only gets warm because the motherboard and SSD themselves are warm with the connector being the SSD's path of lowest thermal resistance.

Reactions: maufilesmaufiles
Solution