[SOLVED] Laptop SSD upgrade Intel 660p 2 TB vs Samsung Evo plus 1 TB

ahsun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my laptop's SSD, which is 256 Gbs at stock. Here are the specs https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24021791

It says that it supports gen3 SSDs. It seems intel 660p 2 TB (QLC) costs about the same as 1 TB Samsung evo plus (TLC).
I don't do 4k editing etc. I am looking to use it as a game/coding/tutorials drive. As someone who lost two hard drives full of childhood data I am starting to take storage reliability seriously.

The 660p may not match those speeds but is it bad in terms of endurance in the long run? Also I read that NVMEs add additional heat overhead that could be another concern. This laptop does get hot ~90 C in modern games. A second option could be to put out the 1 TB mechanical hard drive and replace it with a 2 TB 2.5'' SSD

Thanks!

Solution
I have a 660p (in a desktop). Use it daily.
For your stated use, the 660p at twice the size is a good choice.

The key to 'no data loss' is multiple locations and copies. You cannot depend on a single drive, no matter what the make/model/type.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 660p (in a desktop). Use it daily.
For your stated use, the 660p at twice the size is a good choice.

The key to 'no data loss' is multiple locations and copies. You cannot depend on a single drive, no matter what the make/model/type.

Solution