[SOLVED] Laptop started behaving really weirdly and I can figure out why. Pls help its driving me nuts

Aug 21, 2020
So this started 2 weeks ago and my laptop's performance suddenly dropped 70% (not exact calculation). I checked for viruses and there were none, no hardware failures for the storage, processor or integrated GPU, the laptop did not overheat (ill get to this part again) and no software taking unusually lots of CPU usage in the taskmanager. It is an old laptop and no technology stays forever but even online flash games lagged so I knew this was not natural.
Two things i figured out in two weeks messing around:
CPU intensive software did not lag so normal apps run fine and so do CPU intensive games like minecraft(kinda)
My laptop does NOT OVERHEAT no matter what I do, my power adapter does not heat up after being plugged in the whole day and neither does my laptop and that is the weirdest thing

Things i have done:
Clean my drives
Clean my laptop internally
Multiple virus scans
Defrag drives
Mess with and reset to default power settings(this helped a bit but the problem is not fixed, everything else I did, did not help)
Check for ram or CPU malfunction
Update graphic drivers
Stop any startup apps and software(I only have 2 or something)
Check for HDD(yes thats how old it is) failure

How do I fix my laptop (cannot buy a new one im a student and i dont want to reset my laptop)

Solution
Is your OS Windows 10? Windows 10 automatically creates a restore point before you make any changes to the system settings or install or uninstall a program. I would be curious as to when a restore point was last made, and see what change you made on that date. Then decide if you want to restore the laptop to that date or try other options first.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
So this started 2 weeks ago and my laptop's performance suddenly dropped 70% (not exact calculation). I checked for viruses and there were none, no hardware failures for the storage, processor or integrated GPU, the laptop did not overheat (ill get to this part again) and no software taking unusually lots of CPU usage in the taskmanager. It is an old laptop and no technology stays forever but even online flash games lagged so I knew this was not natural.
Two things i figured out in two weeks messing around:
CPU intensive software did not lag so normal apps run fine and so do CPU intensive games like minecraft(kinda)
My laptop does NOT OVERHEAT no matter what I do, my power adapter does not heat up after being plugged in the whole day and neither does my laptop and that is the weirdest thing

Things i have done:
Clean my drives
Clean my laptop internally
Multiple virus scans
Defrag drives
Mess with and reset to default power settings(this helped a bit but the problem is not fixed, everything else I did, did not help)
Check for ram or CPU malfunction
Update graphic drivers
Stop any startup apps and software(I only have 2 or something)
Check for HDD(yes thats how old it is) failure

How do I fix my laptop (cannot buy a new one im a student and i dont want to reset my laptop)
That is a strange one, so I assume no new apps installed or drivers for this to occur for the last two weeks? Try going into power option in cpanel and set it to performance mode. This will drain your laptop battery much quicker but see if it fixes it. I feel a settings or a app or driver has done something to it. However if you say you haven't installed a single thing then try the power options like I said and get back to me and we can further troubleshoot.

bum4evr

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Is your OS Windows 10? Windows 10 automatically creates a restore point before you make any changes to the system settings or install or uninstall a program. I would be curious as to when a restore point was last made, and see what change you made on that date. Then decide if you want to restore the laptop to that date or try other options first.

Solution
Aug 21, 2020
That is a strange one, so I assume no new apps installed or drivers for this to occur for the last two weeks? Try going into power option in cpanel and set it to performance mode. This will drain your laptop battery much quicker but see if it fixes it. I feel a settings or a app or driver has done something to it. However if you say you haven't installed a single thing then try the power options like I said and get back to me and we can further troubleshoot.
I always keep my laptop in high performance mode at home and that's what I'm using my laptop on now, i cant even imagine how slow my laptop would me if i didn't use it

Aug 21, 2020
I still use windows 7 and i had my laptop reset about 2 months ago and forgot to make a restore point, it would be the first thing i would do...